Skip to content

How to turn on the battery saver on your Chromebook?

  • by
  • 4 min read

You should turn on the battery saver on your Chromebook to reduce the power consumption and increase the device’s battery power.

When you turn on the battery saver on any device, many functions and settings are automatically stopped or reduced. These may include keyboard backlights, screen brightness, background activities and extensions.

In this article, we’ll show you how to turn on the battery-saver mode on a Chromebook.

Also read: How to access the clipboard on Chromebook?


Turn on Energy Saver in Google Chrome

We don’t have any battery-saving option on Chromebook’s Chrome OS. However, there are some other methods we can try to save the batteries of your Chromebook.

One such method is to turn on the energy saver in Google Chrome. Here are the steps to do so:

Step 1: Open Google Chrome and click the three-dot button on the top right of the screen. Next, navigate to More tools > Performance.

Step 2: Enable the toggle before Energy Saver and click Turn on only when my battery is at 20% or lower.

By selecting the other option, you can also enable the Energy Saver option when your Chromebook is unplugged. But remember, you will notice a considerable lag if you’re playing games or editing and playing videos on Energy Saver mode.

Also read: How to delete apps on Chromebook?


Tips to increase Chromebook’s battery life

Now, let us learn a few tips to optimise the battery life of your Chromebook further. Here are some of the steps that you can take:

Turn on Adaptive Charging on Chromebook

Adaptive charging is a technique with less than 100% battery charge, depending on the user’s behaviour and machine learning. The device learns the device’s usage and will only charge the battery up to 80%, and the rest 20% will be charged when the user wakes up.

Here’s how to turn on Adaptive Charging on Chromebook:

Step 1: Head to Settings > Device > Power on your Chromebook.

Step 2: Next, turn on the toggle before Adaptive charging.


Turn on dark mode on the Chromebook

Dark mode consumes less battery than the normal mode. So, to save your Chromebook’s battery, you should try the dark mode.

We have covered how you can turn on the dark mode on Chromebook here.


Turn off the keyboard’s backlight

Turn off the keyboard’s backlight if your Chromebook’s battery is down.

Head to the article here to learn how to turn off/on keyboard lights on Chromebook.


Update Chrome OS

Sometimes, outdated OS can consume more power than usual. New and updated OS has better power management that can prolong battery life.

Step 1: Open Settings from the notification menu.

Step 2: Head to About Chrome OS at the bottom and click Check for updates.

Furthermore, you can turn off the WiFi and Bluetooth on your Chromebook, turn off background apps, and pause the extensions to improve the battery profile further.

Also read: How to change the wallpaper on a Chromebook?

Kumar Hemant

Deputy Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant writes at the intersection of tech and culture and has a keen interest in science, social issues and international relations. You can contact him here: kumarhemant@pm.me

>
Exit mobile version