The Acer OJO 500 Windows Mixed Reality headset that was announced earlier this year at IFA 2018, Berlin, has been launched in India at INR 39,999.
The Acer OJO 500 has built-in speakers and a detachable design where the lens and the head strap can be individually removed, making it easy to clean and store.
It’s the first Windows Mixed Reality headset with such a design, which makes it more accessible too. You can flip the mask up instead of removing the headset if you wish to take a quick call.
The Acer OJO 500 headset will be available in India from February 2019.
The Mixed Reality headset requires a compatible Windows PC — click here to check if your PC is compatible.
Currently, between the Steam VR and the Microsoft Store platforms, there are over 2500 games and applications that are available for Acer OJO 500 headset
“We’ve improved the user experience with innovative visual and audio technologies and made the headset more comfortable and easier than ever to use,” said Andrew Chuang, General Manager, Presence Computing, IT Products Business, Acer Inc. at the time the headset was announced in Berlin.
Acer OJO 500 features
In addition to built-in speakers and a detachable design, Acer OJO 500 Windows MR headset also has the following features:
- The headset has a built-in interpupillary distance (IPD) wheel that can be paired with a smartphone app (Acer IPD Meter) to measure IPD distance — that is the gap between your eye’s pupil and the display. This helps in optimum clarity. Acer IPD Meter, alongwith Acer IPD indicator software, lets you modify the interpupillary distance.
- Two 2.89-inch high-res LCDs allows you to have a wide 100-degree field of view with a 2880 x 1440 resolution. The fast 90Hz refresh rate makes the experience even more immersive with clear and realistic images.
- The patented integrated audio system enhances the experience as the built-in speakers deliver sound directly toward your ears.
- The Acer OJO 500 comes with a 13-foot cable, which connects to a PC via HDMI 2.0 while a USB 3.0 connector downloads data. The long cable allows for more freedom of movement and also enables users to better utilise the 6-degrees of freedom positional tracking, which includes forward/back, up/down, left/right as well as pitch, yaw and roll.
- The Windows MR headset comes with inside-out tracking. The camera is on the headset, which means you wouldn’t need to set up extra hardware.
- There is an option to include two Bluetooth-enabled motion controllers that sync with the Acer OJO 500 headset. You can also configure a Windows 10 button, touchpad and grab button so that you can interact with digital objects in mixed reality.
The headset will install the required software on your PC as soon as it’s connected and the setup is completed in about 10 minutes.
Also check out the Samsung HMD Odyssey+: Windows mixed reality headset
Writes news mostly and edits almost everything at Candid.Technology. He loves taking trips on his bikes or chugging beers as Manchester United battle rivals.
Contact Prayank via email: [email protected]