DirecTV remote not working is a serious issue, especially when you are ready for Friday night binge-watching.
In this article, we will show you some simple troubleshooting steps that you can try to get your DirecTV remote working again.
DirecTV remote not working: Possible reasons
Here is a list of the most common reasons why the DirecTV remote is not working:
- Obstruction: Something might be blocking the signal from the remote to the receiver. Ensure there is nothing in the way and that the receiver’s sensor and the remote’s emitter are clean.
- Batteries: The batteries in the remote might be low or dead. Try replacing them with new ones and make sure they are inserted correctly.
- Mode: The remote might be in the wrong mode for the device you want to control. Check the mode switch at the top of the remote and slide it to the appropriate symbol (DIRECTV, TV, AV1, or AUX).
- Pairing: The remote might not be paired with the receiver or the device you want to control. Try resetting the remote and the receiver by following the steps on this website.
- Firmware: The firmware of the remote or the receiver might be outdated or corrupted.
Also read: What channel is Court TV on DirecTV?
DirecTV remote not working: Possible fixes
Now that we have understood why DirecTV remote is not working, let us quickly head to the fixes.
Check the remote batteries
The first thing you should do when your DirecTV remote is not working is to check the batteries. Sometimes, the batteries may be low or dead, which can affect the performance of the remote.
To check the batteries, press and hold any button on your remote. If you see a:
- Solid green light: The batteries are strong.
- Fast-blinking green light: The batteries are okay but may need to be replaced soon.
- Green light blinking slowly or absence of light: This means that your remote’s battery has died and you need new batteries.
To replace the batteries, remove the battery cover and insert two new AA batteries. Make sure to align the positive and negative ends correctly.
Check the remote mode
The next thing you should check is the mode of your remote. Your DirecTV remote can control different devices, such as your TV, receiver, DVD player, etc. To do that, you need to slide the mode switch at the top of the remote to the appropriate symbol.
If your remote does not control your DirecTV receiver, slide the mode switch to the left to the symbol.
If your remote is not controlling other devices, slide the mode switch to the input symbol (for example, TV, AV1, or AUX).
If your remote is still not working after changing the mode, you may need to program your remote to work with your devices. You can find instructions on how to do that in your user manual or the DirecTV website.
Also read: Bunkr app not working: Quick Fix
Check for signal interference
Another possible reason why your DirecTV remote is not working is that something is blocking or interfering with the signal between the remote and the receiver. The remote uses light to send commands to the receiver, so if anything obstructs or reflects the light, it can affect how well the remote works.
To fix this issue, try these tips:
- Remove any objects that might be blocking the signal from the remote and the receiver.
- Clean the remote control’s emitter and the receiver’s sensor with a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Turn down the brightness of your TV.
- Move away from any bright light sources or infrared signals, such as lamps, windows, or other remotes.
Reset your remote and receiver
If none of the above steps works, you may need to reset your remote and receiver to their default settings. This can help clear any glitches or errors that might be causing your remote to malfunction.
Press and hold the Mute and Select buttons to reset your remote until the green light flashes twice. Then enter 9 8 1 on the keypad. The green light will flash four times to confirm that your remote has been reset.
To reset your receiver, press and hold the red button on the side of the box for 10 seconds. Alternatively, you can unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet and wait 15 seconds before plugging it back in.
After resetting both devices, please wait a few minutes for them to reboot and reconnect. Then try using your remote again.
Contact DirecTV support
As a final solution to the DirecTV remote not working issue, you should contact DirecTV customer service for further assistance. They can help you troubleshoot your issue over the phone or online chat or send you a replacement remote if needed.
Also read: What channel is Peacock on DirecTV?