The world of internet has been a great enabler to people globally, helping them connect seamlessly beyond boundaries, especially with all the social networking tools, including but not limited to Twitter, made available to us.
But as much of a boon platforms like Twitter have been, they’ve also increasingly gained notoriety for being a platform full of trolls who harass people online.
Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and the others have been trying to work towards curbing the activity of the said trolls.
Towards that end, in early 2017, Twitter came out with advanced filters for muting trolls on the platform. Now, you could already block/mute any Twitter account you wished to individually.
But with these advanced filters, Twitter gives you the power to block a certain category of profiles on Twitter, which include:
- New accounts (that you don’t follow)
- Accounts that don’t follow you (that you don’t follow)
- Accounts you don’t follow
- Accounts with a default profile photo (that you don’t follow).
- Accounts without a confirmed email address (that you don’t follow)
- Accounts without a confirmed phone number (that you don’t follow)
How to mute Twitter trolls on the Android and iOS app?
- Tap on your profile picture on the top left.
- Then tap on Settings and Privacy
- Tap on Notifications
- On the new screen, tap on Advanced filters
- Now select for which of the six categories of people you want notifications muted
A shorter way to mute trolls on Android and iOS app
Instead of going via your app’s settings, there is a shorter way to access notification settings:
- Go to your notifications timeline (bell icon at the bottom) and then tap on the ‘gear’ icon
- You’ll be directly taken to the Notifications menu
- Tap on Advanced filters and tick the categories you wish to mute
How to mute trolls on a PC?
- Go to your Notifications Timeline
- Click on Settings
- Choose your preferred categories that you’ll like to mute