Not receiving messages on WhatsApp unless you manually launch the app on your device is a common issue. One of the primary reasons for this could be the bugs or malware present in the app’s software. Apart from that, your phone’s settings might also be the reason.
This article discusses nine fixes you can apply to fix the ‘Not receiving WhatsApp messages unless I open the app’ issue.
Allow app permissions
Blocking a few important app permissions might be the hindrance you are currently facing with WhatsApp.
Follow the steps mentioned below to enable all app permissions on WhatsApp.
- Launch the Settings app on your device.
- Head over to the Apps section and tap on See all apps.
- Search for WhatsApp on the list.
- Tap on Permissions.
- Toggle the App permissions options until all the permissions have been allowed.
Also read: 7 best-encrypted messaging apps in 2022
If you have been running a bunch of different apps in the background along with WhatsApp, it might be possible that you are unable to receive the notifications since the other apps might be more data consuming.
Make sure to remove WhatsApp from your currently used apps list so that it stops running in the background. Now, try and relaunch the app and see if the ‘Not receiving WhatsApp messages unless I open the app’ issue is fixed.
Reset app preferences
You can manage app preferences on your device, which might sort out the issues with WhatsApp or even other applications in general.
Follow the steps mentioned below to reset app preferences on your device.
- Launch Settings on your device, scroll down to Manage apps and click on the three vertical dots.
- Tap Reset app preferences in the pop-up menu and hit the Reset apps option to confirm.
Also read: Why is WhatsApp not working? 16 Fixes
Log out of WhatsApp from other devices
You may not be able to receive WhatsApp notifications case you had previously logged into your WhatsApp account from other devices. Log out of those devices to receive further notifications from WhatsApp.
Disable the Do not disturb mode
The Do Not Disturb, or DND feature of your device, restricts notifications, alarms and calls. If you had mistakenly enabled this feature, it might be the reason you haven’t been receiving notifications on your phone.
Check to see if that is so, and turn off the DND mode on your device to receive notifications from WhatsApp.
The WhatsApp software running on your device might be an older version, which can certainly explain the malfunctioning of the app. Try and update WhatsApp and launch it later to see if that fixes the ‘Not receiving WhatsApp messages unless I open the app’ issue.
Turn off Restrict data usage
If you’ve restricted data usage on your device, then chances are that it isn’t getting internet access in the background, hence no notifications. Follow the steps mentioned below to turn off the ‘restrict data usage’ setting for WhatsApp on your device.
- Launch the Security system app on your device, head over to the Data usage menu and tap on Restrict Data usage.
- Scroll through the apps and find WhatsApp to turn off data restrictions.
Clear WhatsApp cache
Clearing cache for any downloaded app pretty much sorts out the general malfunctioning of the app in the meantime. You can try and clear out the WhatsApp cache to check if that works.
Follow the steps mentioned below to clear the WhatsApp cache.
- Head over to Settings on your device, scroll down to Manage apps and search for WhatsApp.
- Tap on Clear data, select Clear cache and hit OK to confirm.
Clear WhatsApp data
If nothing else works, you can try clearing out WhatsApp’s stored data on your phone to see if that solves the problem. Follow the steps mentioned below to clear all data.
- Head over to Settings on your device, scroll down to the Manage apps menu and search for WhatsApp.
- Tap on Clear data, select the Clear all data option and hit OK to confirm.
If we missed out on a method that helped you fix the ‘Not receiving WhatsApp messages unless I open the app’ issue, please leave a comment down below.
Also read: How to blur the background in Zoom?
“Life’s too short to not express how you feel” — I have always lived by this quote and at times of anxiety or restlessness I always resort to expressing how I feel through art and scribbling my thoughts. I believe in spontaneity and sometimes that’s what leads to some of the best content I create.