Tesla has been in the news for a long time for various reasons. Sometimes because of the tweets of Elon Musk or because of launching a unique product or by launching a product that can disrupt the whole market sector.
The company has already made its mark in the electric car sector but has a limited portfolio in the number of cars it offers. Expanding the portfolio and growing into a different sector is what Tesla aimed by launching an electric pickup truck. The Cybertruck, as the company calls it, is the way the company presented competition to its rivals.
Elon Musk announced the Cybertruck on 21st November 2019 at the Tesla Design Studio in Los Angeles. The truck has a unique design with an exoskeleton shell made from cold-rolled steel. The design of the truck is very futuristic and different people have different views on the design. Either you love the futuristic design, or you don’t like it. There is no in-between in liking the design.
Besides the unique design, the Cybertruck also has impressive specs that can give any supercar or a pickup truck a run for its money.
Cybertruck comes in three different options with each one differing in power, towing capacity, 0-60 MPH time, and range.
- Motor and Drivetrain Options: Tesla offers a Single Motor Rear Wheel Drive/ Dual Motor All Wheel Drive/ Triple Motor All-Wheel Drive in the Cybertruck.
- Towing Capacity: All three variants of the pickup truck have different towing capacities. The single motor variant has a towing capacity of 7500+ LBS, the dual-motor can tow 10000+ LBS, while the triple-motor has a capacity of 14000+ LBS, which is one of the highest towing capabilities in the pickup truck sector.
- Range: The single motor version of the truck has a range of 250+ miles (EPA estimated), while the dual-motor has a range of 300+ miles (EPA estimated). The triple-motor variant, which is the most specification rich variant, has a range of 500+ miles (EPA estimated).
- 0-60 MPH: The Cybertruck provides an instant acceleration because of its electric motors. The single motor rear-wheel drive speeds up from 0 to 60 MPH in less than 6.5 seconds. The dual and triple motor variants take under 4.5 and 2.9 seconds to reach 60 MPH. Cybertruck equipped with the triple motor all-wheel drive can defeat any pickup truck present in the market in acceleration.
- Other Features: The truck has 100 cubic feet (ca. 2,832 l) of storage and a vault length of 6.5 feet (approximately 2 m). It also comes equipped with Tesla’s Autopilot feature and an adaptive air suspension that can lower the truck for loading the ATV at the back.
Tesla has promised to start the delivery of the truck in 2021. But the question that stands tall is that Tesla’s Cybertruck will look the same as it was shown on the launch day?
Michael Perschke, the CEO of Automobili Pininfarina, had something to say about the design of Tesla’s pick-up truck. He shared his opinion using a social media post. Michael posted, “Here is my bet: the shown Tesla truck will not look like this – it is a PR stunt to maximise the viral effect and by polarising and thereby getting even more PR mileage”.
Further, he also appreciated Rivian for having better taste in truck design in the same tweet.
Also read: Top 11 offline games for iPhone
Is the design of the Cybertruck a PR Stunt?
The Cybertruck lacks some features such as side-view mirrors and rear-view mirror. The lack of these features will make it very difficult to drive, but since it is just a prototype, Tesla can add these features in the final product as per their wish.
The launch of the truck this early can be a PR stunt to hype people, but I don’t think the design of the truck is going to change. There might be minor tweaks in the design, but the overall design should look the same.
Elon Musk has delivered several weird products in the past as well, and I don’t doubt his ability to deliver a futuristic radical design again. I love the design of the Cybertruck and would like to see the final launch in the same.
The Cybertruck is the latest offering by the company and is available for pre-order on the company’s website. The price starts from $39,900 for the single motor variant and goes up to $69,900 for the triple motor variant. You can order the Tesla Cybertruck here.
Let us know what you think about the Cybertruck’s design in the comment section below. Be sure to drop your views.