Google Chrome allows you to immerse in an infinite world of internet from your device. Through the internet, one can learn, gain knowledge, meet people or purchase things. However, there is a dark side of the internet, which is well-known to its users. And if you are a parent or an employee, we understand that you have to be extra cautious.
In this article, we will explain two ways by which you can block the unwanted websites on the device. Also, we believe in freedom of expression, so alongwith mentioning how to block websites, we are also mentioning how to unblock them again, in case you need to.
Following are the ways by which you can block the adult websites on Google Chrome.
Windows Host File
Host files are plain text files with a size of about 824 bytes. These files are used to map the hostnames to their corresponding IP addresses.
You can access the host files at the following location: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
How to access the Host File?
There are various ways to access the Host File, which are as follows.
- Windows 7: In Windows 7, type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in the search toolbox, and it will directly take you to the folder.
- Windows 10/8: In Windows 10/8 the process is a bit tricky and is listed in the four steps below.
Step 1: On the search box, type Notepad, and run it as an administrator.
Step 3: In the search toolbox, enter C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and make sure that that you have selected All file types from the corresponding option.
Step 4: Then, open the host file, which is located at the top.
How to block a website using Host File?
To block the website using the Host File, just follow the instructions given below.
- Open the host file in the Notepad, by following the above method.
- At the bottom of the file, in a blank space, type 0.0.0.0 followed by the website’s IP address.
Let us understand it with an example — I want to block, let us say, twitter.com. So, I navigate to the bottom of the notepad and there I type 0.0.0.0 twitter.com. This will block twitter.com as you can see from the screenshot below.
However, I cannot block YouTube from this method. Also, as you can see from the screenshot above, I have typed www.facebook.com instead of facebook.com because a simple facebook.com will not block the website. In case you’re a parent or guardian and want to block adult websites on Google Chrome, these steps will help you too.
How to unblock the websites again?
There are several extensions that you can use to block websites on Chrome. Let us take an example of such an extension so that you might get an idea of how things work. Here, I will take the example of Block Site extension.
Follow the given steps to block a website using Block Site extension.
- Click here to open the Block Site extension.
- Click on Add to Chrome and then Add extension option.
- Click on Agree.
- Now, enter the website in the space provided. For example, facebook.com, and then add the website to the list of the blocked website by pressing the plus icon.
Facebook will be blocked from Chrome. Similarly, you can add other websites, including adult websites too.
Also read: Top 5 websites to identify songs
How to unblock website?
How to uninstall the extension?
To uninstall the extension, follow the steps given below.
- Click here to open the Block Site extension again.
- Click on Remove from Chrome icon.
- Select the reason and then click on Continue Uninstalling.
- Confirm that you are not a robot, and then click on Uninstall option.
Similar to Block Site, the other extensions that you can use are HT Parental Control and HT Employee Monitor, Stay Focused and others. You can visit our article here for more apps. These are the easiest ways by which you can block the websites in Chrome.
Also read: Top 7 online translators
Former Senior Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant has a keen interest in social issues and international relations.