They are coin-shaped small manganese lithium dioxide batteries. Why do we need such small button or coin-shaped batteries? They can be used in devices like smoke detectors, wristwatches, laptops, and calculators.
This article compares two types of button cells, namely CR2032 and CR 2016.
What are CR cells?
In CR batteries, the first letter indicates chemical composition (C stands for Lithium-Manganese dioxide), and the second letter, R, stands for cylindrical or round shape. Due to the lithium and manganese dioxide chemical, the battery takes a long time to get discharged at low-load discharge. Hence, they have a ten-year shelf-life but are non-rechargeable.
CR cells have a nominal voltage of 3 Volts. They are light, small, and high temperature resistant. Each CR cell has a four-digit identification number that divides them:
- The first two digits signify the cell diameter in millimetres. For example, CR2016 has a diameter of 20 mm.
- The last two digits show the thickness of the cell in millimetres. For example, CR2032 has a thickness of 3.2 mm.
CR2032 vs CR2016
From a wide variety of identifications in CR cells, we will be comparing two types of batteries. To determine the primary differences between the two types of CR batteries, let us look at the table below. Other models of CR cells include CR2025, CR1220, and CR1620, among others.
|Up to 10 hours
|Up to 6 hours
|Computer motherboards, car keys, watches, calculators, garage door openers, toys, games, doorbells, LED lights, sporting goods, pedometers, calorie counters, stopwatches, and medical devices.
|Objects requiring low power usage such as calculators and watches.
|Unable to fit into a CR2016 slot.
|Two CR2016 cells can fit into one CR2032 slot but provide twice the voltage (3V+3V) instead of one #V CR2032 battery.
Both CR2032 and CR2016 offer three volts of charge and high-temperature resistance. However, CR2032 can handle more power output compared to CR2016.
CR battery: Additional notes
Some points should be kept in mind when using CR batteries:
- Since the batteries are small, round, and light, they are also easily ingestable. They do not contain mercury, but the lithium in them can be dangerous; thus, they must be kept out of the reach of children.
- They have excellent storage characteristics and high leakage resistance.
- Reliable for long-term usage. Compact and powerful lithium batteries.
- Offer low internal resistance.