Reddit is a community forum founded by Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian in 2005. Today, it is one of the most popular websites with millions of visitors and thousands of active communities. It ranks #19 globally with 1.30 billion total monthly visits.
Reddit also announced their internship programs earlier this month. You can check out the details as well as eligibility criteria here.
In this article, we will explain everything about karma on Reddit including how you can earn some.
What is Reddit karma score?
As per the Reddit FAQ, karma score resonates how much good have you done for the Reddit community — in short, karma is your credit score on Reddit. You can also think of it as Facebook’s equivalent of Likes. However, unlike Facebook, where you can show appreciation towards the post by clicking on either the conventional Like button or new Reactions, Reddit has a singular upvote or downvote option.
You can see the karma score below the profile name.
How Reddit calculates the karma score?
For the beginners, it is simple — the more upvotes you get, the more karma score you have. However, the actual algorithm of how karma works is known only to Reddit.
What does karma do and why should you strive to earn more karma?
Karma score works like the reward points — the more reward points you have, the more you can spend. But instead of spending, Reddit karma score allows you to post comments and links as well as ask questions and start a thread on the platform.
If you do not have enough karma points, you cannot start a thread or ask questions. When you have a low karma score, the questions that you might want to ask or have already asked will be removed by the Reddit moderator bot with the above message displayed on your screen.
So, if you want a deeper engagement on Reddit, try increasing your karma score.
How to get Karma on Reddit?
There are various ways by which you can increase your karma score, some of them are mentioned below.
- Be nice to people: Even if you want to criticise the person, always be polite and state the facts.
- Engage within the community: Join a community and engage by commenting and upvoting. This is the easiest way to earn karma, at least in the beginning.
- Join popular Subreddits: Subreddits are the communities where millions of people hang out to express views. You can join any of the thousands of Subreddits of your choice and then can comment and upvote to gain karma points.
- Discuss the relevant topics: Be aware of the happenings of the world and then put your views.
- Follow the rules of the community: Before engaging within a community, always read the rules first to avoid getting downvoted. Also, read the Reddit content guidelines to get an overall idea.
- Do not troll: Trolling is considered offensive almost on every platform and Reddit is no exception. Avoid trolling at all costs.
- Use pictures and videos: These increase the aesthetical value of your post and will definitely bring you more upvotes.
Keep in mind the above points and increase the karma score on Reddit. Want to tell us more ways to increase karma? Do comment in the box below.