As a Google Drive user, you may think of wanting to stop getting spam on the platform.
Many Google Drive users have been facing this problem for a long time, which can be frustrating and distracting.
In this article, we’ll explain what causes spam on Google Drive, how it can affect you and how to stop it.
What is spam on Google Drive, and how does it work?
Spam on Google Drive is an unwanted communication where scammers send you unwanted messages or link invites without your consent.
The scam can range from harmless promotional messages showcasing various products or services to extremely malicious links clicking on, which will download harmful malware on your device.
Scammers can contact you using the Google Drive in the following ways:
- They can create a file or folder on their own Google Drive and share it with you.
- They can comment on a file or folder you own or access. The scammers may slip in some malicious links in those comments.
Also read: How to stop Norton spam emails?
How can spam on Google Drive affect you?
Spam is unwanted communication via any medium, including text, email, or call. The end game of scammers is to exfiltrate as much of your personal information as possible to use it for other malicious purposes.
Spam messages can clutter your inbox and be distracting and annoying for some users.
Moreover, there is a high chance that clicking on these malicious links could expose you to phishing scams or malware attacks, compromising your device’s security.
Here’s how spam on Google Drive can affect you:
- Sometimes, the links contain malware that can download on your device.
- The links may also lead to phishing websites that capture your login credentials and passwords.
- Loss of storage space on Google Drive.
- There is a high chance that you can lose access to your legitimate files or folders on Google Drive.
- Loss of reputation.
How to prevent spam on Google Drive?
The best way to prevent spam on Google Drive is to be careful and vigilant about who you share files or folders on the platform.
Also, you should be careful when clicking on links or spam folders and files. Follow the instructions given below to avoid spam on Google Drive:
- Share your files and folders only with trusted people. Also, do not accept invitations from unknown sources.
- Always check the sender’s email address before clicking on any link. If you feel that the sender’s email is suspicious, avoid opening it and quickly report it as spam.
- Use strong passwords and two-factor authentication for your Google account to prevent unauthorised access to your account.
Also read: Netflix spam email: All you need to know
How to deal with spam on Google Drive?
If you already have many scam files and folders present on your Google Drive, there are a few steps you can take to remove them:
- Unsubscribe from any unwanted email notifications from Google Drive.
- Head to this address:
https://drive.google.com/drive/shared-with-meand right-click on the file and select Remove.
- Report any spam or invitation messages on Google Drive. Select and drag the file to the Spam folder on the left panel to report the file as spam.
Also read: How to work for Yelp removing spam comments?