Whatsapp is one of the largest online messaging services, with over 400 million users in India alone. With an increasingly blurring distinction between your real-life and virtual one, it’s elementary that you apply measures provided by these online platforms to safeguard your privacy, especially if you are looking to get away from prying eyes or constant surveillance of your parents or loved ones.
In this article, we are going to explain how you can turn off your last seen on Whatsapp and built a virtual wall of privacy around you.
Also read: How to turn off read receipts in Whatsapp?
Turn off last seen in Whatsapp
- Open Whatsapp and then tap on the three-dot button at the top right of the screen.
- Now, select the Settings option from the drop-down menu.
- In the Settings menu, tap on the Account option at the top.
- After that, select the Privacy option at the top.
- Next, tap on the Last Seen option at the top and then select the group of people that can see your last seen. Select Nobody if you want to turn off the last seen from everybody in your contacts.
Also read: How to send Whatsapp messages to yourself?
What does turning off last seen do?
When you turn off last seen, others will not be able to see when you have opened Whatsapp. Similarly, you will not be able to see the last seen of others.
Even if your last seen is turned off, when you are active on Whatsapp, your contacts will see an ‘Online’ badge below your name on their screens where the last seen usually appears. Also, during conversations, the standard ‘Typing…’ badge will appear too. However, the ‘Online’ badge would disappear as soon as you leave the app.
Why am I not able to see the last seen of others?
There are three possibilities if the last seen of a contact on Whatsapp isn’t visible to you.
- They must have turned off the last seen.
- They must have blocked you.
- Or, you might have mistakenly hidden your last seen or blocked the other person. To confirm, check your block list from the in-app settings.
You might also like
- What is a Vector file? Why is it used and how to open it?
- Nokia 6.2 vs Nokia 7.2: 5 key talking points
- How does TCP and IP work together? What is UDP?
- How to change directory in Command Prompt (cmd)?
- How to merge two Facebook pages?
- How to delete your AOL account?
- What is Quantum Computing? How does a quantum computer work?
Former Senior Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant has a keen interest in social issues and international relations.