Instagram is one of the most popular social media networks around. The platform shifted from text-based status updates to more on sharing your life through photos and videos and has been adding features like reels and stories to highlight the same ever since.
In this article, we’re looking at what is an Instagram handle, why it is important, and a few things you need to keep in mind when choosing yours.
What is an Instagram handle?
To put it in simple terms, an Instagram handle is essentially the username of an individual using the app. The Instagram handle is unique to each app user, and no two people can have the same Instagram handle.
Why is a Instagram handle important?
Instagram handles essentially represent the name of your brand on the app and, if you are interested in growing your platform and approach on the app, having a catchy and unique Instagram handle is a must for you.
If you are a small business owner and are looking forward to expanding your approach on Instagram, having a unique and catchy Instagram handle can give your small business a push in the right direction.
There are billions of people using the app daily; hence, your Instagram handle makes you stand out from the crowd.
How to choose a unique Instagram handle?
A catchy Instagram handle promises a greater approach and larger number of followers if you are looking to expand your dimension in social media marketing on Instagram.
You should keep the following things in mind when picking your Instagram handle.
- Use alphabets from your own name: This is one of the most basic approach for creating a catchy Instagram handle which represents you. You can take it a step further and also add part of your surname to your Instagram handle.
- Use numbers and symbols: By using numbers and symbols such as (_) at the beginning or the last letters of your Instagram handle you can certainly make sure that it is completely unique as per your taste.
- Use online name generators: If you are as indecisive as the next person, you can always use an online name generator to generate catchy and interesting names for your Instagram handle.
- Include your interests: This advice works best for people who are looking forward to grow their business platform on the app. It is best to mention your interest or your core business in the Instagram handle itself to attract your customers.
- Consistency is key: Instagram handles basically make your whole identity over the social media app. Hence, not being too indecisive about your Instagram handle and not changing it too frequently would be ideal.
How to change your Instagram handle?
It is important to keep in mind that Instagram handles, or so to speak, the username of your Instagram is not something that you are stuck with forever. If you ever feel like changing your Instagram handle, you can easily do that by tapping a few options on the app.
Follow the steps mentioned below to change your Instagram handle:
- Open the Instagram app and tap on your profile icon in the bottom right of your screen.
- Now, tap the Edit profile button.
- Tap the Username field to edit your current username.
- When you’re done, hit the check mark in the top right.
Keep in mind that you won’t be able to change your username for 14 days after you make a change.
“Life’s too short to not express how you feel” — I have always lived by this quote and at times of anxiety or restlessness I always resort to expressing how I feel through art and scribbling my thoughts. I believe in spontaneity and sometimes that’s what leads to some of the best content I create.