Instagram is, without doubt, one of the most popular social media platforms out there right now, and it’s still going. The platform started as a photo-sharing network but now has millions of users worldwide.
The app allows users to see each other’s content online by following them. However, it isn’t always perfect. In this article, we’re going over why you can’t follow anyone on Instagram and how you can fix the situation.
Why can’t you follow people on Instagram?
There are several reasons behind the issue, but here are some of the more common ones.
- Instagram may be down.
- You might’ve reached your follow limit (7500).
- You might’ve recieved a temporary ban for bot-like activities.
- Outdated app.
- General bugs.
How to fix this Instagram issue?
Here are a few simple solutions you can try to see if it fixes the ‘Instagram won’t let me follow people’ error for your account.
Check your internet connection
The first thing you should try out is making sure you have a proper internet connection. If you’re using mobile data, try switching it off and back on again. If you’re on WiFi, restarting your router is a good way to clear out any internet issues you might be having.
Restart your phone
We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again, restarting your device can do wonders with seemingly random issues. If Instagram won’t let you follow people, try restarting your phone to see if it fixes your problem.
Try logging into Instagram with a different device
Instagram might’ve blocked your device’s IP address. To counter this, try logging into your account from another phone or computer to see if you can get around the issue.
Update your Instagram app
More often than not, if you’re running an outdated app, it can cause problems.
Head over to your respective app store to check if there are any updates available. If they are, update your app and try again.
Also read: Instagram try again later error: 7 Fixes
Reinstall the app
Reinstalling your app can fix a bunch of issues, including the ones that cause your notifications to stop working. Regardless of whether you’re on Android or iOS, try reinstalling the app to see if it resolves the issue.
Log out of your Instagram app
Another quick fix for random issues like this is logging out of your Instagram app and logging in again.
- Open the Instagram app and tap on your profile picture in the bottom right.
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon in the top right.
- Tap on Settings.
- Scroll down and tap logout.
Now log back in to check if your issue is resolved.
Clear the app cache
Clearing the app’s cache can eliminate any corrupt files or data that might interfere with Instagram’s functionality.
- Tap on Apps and notifications.
- Tap on Show all apps and find Instagram from the list. If you’ve recently used Instagram, it’ll show up in the recent apps as well.
- Tap on Instagram.
- Then tap on Storage & cache.
- Then tap on the Clear Cache button.
You can also try contacting Instagram if you believe that the issue is from their end and request help to resolve the Instagram won’t let me follow people error.
- Open the Instagram app and head over to your profile by tapping your profile picture in the bottom-right.
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon on the top right to open the options menu.
- Tap on Settings.
- Head over to Help.
- Under Help tap on Report a Problem.
- You’ll be presented a few options to choose from. Tap on Report a Problem again.
- Here you can describe the issues you’re facing and attach any relevant screenshots as well.
Instagram should get back to you with a potential solution.
Someone who writes/edits/shoots/hosts all things tech and when he’s not, streams himself racing virtual cars. You can reach out to Yadullah at [email protected], or follow him on Instagram or Twitter.