Youtube’s restricted mode is a helpful feature released by the company to ensure that kids are protected on the platform against potentially mature content, which is filtered — aiding sharing the same device with young ones without worrying about them accessing things you don’t want them to.
The restricted mode has become quite popular not only among parents but also among educational institutions, including schools and colleges, as well as public offices.
In this article, we’ll talk more about Youtube’s Restricted Mode.
What does Restricted Mode do?
When you turn on Restricted Mode, YouTube uses the title of a video, its description and metadata combined with community guidelines and age restrictions to filter potentially mature videos.
Some examples of content that may not be available in Restricted Mode:
- Videos that show or talk about drug use or abuse, alcohol consumption, or sexual situations.
- Videos that contain graphic descriptions or depictions of violence, natural disasters, tragedies, or crimes.
- Videos that cover specific details about events related to terrorism, war, or political conflicts that resulted in death or serious injury.
- Videos that use inappropriate language, profanity, or incendiary and demeaning remarks.
However, Restricted Mode is not perfect and may sometimes make mistakes in filtering out content. It may also block some educational or informative videos discussing sexual education, discrimination, or mental health.
Note: Turning on Restricted Mode is not the same as age-restricting videos. Age-restricted videos have been flagged by Youtube users or reviewed by Youtube staff as unsuitable for viewers under 18 years old. These videos can only be viewed by signed-in users who are 18 or older.
How to turn on Restricted Mode on YouTube?
You can turn on Restricted Mode on or off from your account. However, if you’re using a public computer or a device managed by a network administrator, you may not be able to change the Restricted Mode settings.
Enable Restricted Mode on Youtube app
Follow these instructions:
- Open Youtube and tap on your profile picture at the top right of the screen.
- Next, tap on Settings.
- Afterwards, go to General and turn on the toggle before Restricted Mode.
Enable Restricted Mode on a computer
Here are the steps:
Step 1: Open Youtube on a computer website and then click on your account at the window’s top right corner.
Step 2: From the drop-down window, select Restricted Mode.
Step 3: Turn on the toggle in front of Activate Restricted Mode.
Also read: How to disable Restricted mode on YouTube?
Why use YouTube’s Restricted Mode?
Restricted Mode can be useful for various reasons. You may want to use if:
- As a parent who wants to limit the exposure of your child to mature content on Youtube, you can also use the Family Link app to turn on Restricted Mode for your child’s account if they are not eligible for a supervision experience on Youtube.
- You are a teacher who wants to show YouTube videos in your classroom without worrying about inappropriate content.
- As a user from any field or profession, Restricted Mode is useful for those who want to have a limited and safe viewing experience on Youtube.
Thus, Restricted Mode is a feature that allows you more control over the Youtube content. However, this is not a foolproof method to block all illegal or mature content. You should always exercise caution and discretion when viewing such videos.
Also read: How to hide who you follow on Instagram?