Facebook is a great place to hang out with your friends and family or to meet new people. With over 2.41 billion monthly visits, it looks like Facebook has no competition in the near future. Moreover, Facebook provides a platform to showcase your talents and earn a name for yourself.
However, there are times where you can feel a little disrupted with social media and want to appear offline on Facebook. In this article, we will explain how you can do precisely that. Do read the article till the end to get familiar with the steps.
How to go offline on Facebook website?
If you want to appear offline while you are on the Facebook website — computer or on the mobile, follow the instructions given below.
- Open Facebook and enter the details to log in.
- Now, select the gear icon at the bottom right of the screen, which will open a menu.
- On the menu, select Turn Off Active Status option. When you click on this option, a new window will open, and you will see three options — Turn off Active Status for all contacts, Turn off Active Status for all contacts except, Turn off Active Status for only some contacts. Look at the screenshot above to get an idea. If you select any of the last two options, you will have to enter the name of the person or persons manually.
- After that, click on OK.
Note: You will have to turn off the active status in every device that you are using Facebook or Messanger. If you are using Facebook on, say three devices, then you will have to manually turn off the active status on all the three devices.
Now let us, in very brief, discuss what the other options mean.
- Turn off Chat Tabs: This will turn off the chats tab on Facebook.
- Turn off Post Tabs: This option will turn off the pop-up tabs when someone messages to you or tags you in some post.
- Turn off Voice/Video calls: As the name suggests, this option will disable the voice and video calls on Facebook.
Also Read: How to add an admin to your Facebook page?
How to go offline on Facebook for Android or iOS (Messenger)
If you are using the Messenger app on Android or iOS, follow the steps given below to appear offline.
- Tap on the profile picture icon at the top left.
- On the drop-down menu, tap on Active Status option.
- After that, turn off the toggle beside Show when you’re active. (In the screenshot, the toggle is off. Tapping it again will turn it on).
Note: You will have to turn off the active status in every device that you are using Facebook or Messanger. If you are using Messenger on, say three devices, then you will have to manually turn off the active status on all the three devices.
I hope this article helps you to appear offline. We will bring more Tech101 tutorials in the future.
Former Senior Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant has a keen interest in social issues and international relations.