Most gadgets are not completely waterproof but have a water-resistant design. Similarly, Airpods Pro are not waterproof but water-resistant, which means that they can’t be immersed or put under running water — spills and splashes until taken care of immediately should be fine.
On the other hand, Apple’s 1st and 2nd generation Airpods, Airpods Max, smart case and charging case are neither waterproof nor water-resistant.
Check out the table below to ascertain the water-resistance facts about your Airpods model.
|AirPods (1st and 2nd gen)||Neither waterproof nor water-resistant.|
|AirPods Pro||Are water or sweat resistant but are not waterproof or sweat-proof.|
|AirPods Max||Neither waterproof nor water-resistant.|
|Smart case||Neither waterproof nor water-resistant.|
|Charging case||Neither waterproof nor water-resistant.|
You must be careful not to let any moisture enter any of their openings. If it comes in contact with liquid, including sweat, wipe it with a dry microfibre cloth. In case of the charging case, place it upside down with the lid open.
Can you shower with AirPods?
The answer is a straight no. Any Airpods, including the 1st, 2nd generation, Pro or Max, cannot be exposed to soaps, detergent, shampoo, conditioners, lotions, perfumes, acidic foods, oils or any such liquid. Moreover, you can’t use them under running water.
Even though Airpods Pro are water-resistant, they cannot be used in the shower as these can negatively affect its water seals and acoustic membranes.
If your AirPods are exposed to any of the above mentioned fluids:
- Immediately wipe them with a slightly damp cloth and then dry them with a soft, dry lint-free cloth.
- Make sure the Airpods are completely dry before you start using them again.
- Do not place them in their charging case until they are completely moisture-free.
How to keep your AirPods safe?
While Apple’s 1st and 2nd generation Airpods, Airpods Max, smart case and charging case are neither waterproof nor water-resistant, Airpods Pro are sweat and water-resistant. However, this is not a permanent condition and might diminish with time. Airpods Pro cannot be recorrected or resealed for sweat and water resistance.
Follow the below mentioned tips in order to keep your AirPods safe.
- Do not bring your Airpods under running water. Similarly, do not swim or ski with your Airpods in your ears.
- Don’t wear your Airpods in a sauna or steam room.
- Make sure your Airpods are handled with care. Avoid dropping them or subjecting them to any other kind of impact.
Read more about how to clean your AirPods for better performance.