Walmart is a multinational corporation that deals in retail and has thousands of hypermarket chains, departmental stores, and grocery stores. With their large overreaching presence, growing times, as well as the COVID-19 pandemic, must have left Walmart open to accepting contactless payment methods. So what are the acceptable forms of digital payments at Walmart, a store nearly every American visits?
In this article, we will be diving into whether Walmart takes Google Pay and the other forms of acceptable payment methods available there.
Also read: How to delete Walmart account?
Walmart: GPay accepted or not?
No, Walmart does not accept Google Pay
In fact, Walmart does not accept any kind of digital payment from digital wallets like Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay. Walmart offers its own digital payment app, called Walmart Pay which is available on its app.
Why does Walmart not accept GPay?
Walmart has a number of reasons to not accept other forms of e-payments that involve using digital wallets. Some of those reasons are:
- By providing a distinct digital payment method on the Walmart app, they can keep track of your orders to collect user data and payment information for future use.
- Walmart avoids paying 2% fees which other store outlets do in order to support other digital wallets.
- They can offer gift cards, reward points, discounts, and coupons according to your Walmart purchases. You can also have the receipts for all of your purchases on one app which makes it easier to return items.
What is Walmart Pay?
Walmart Pay is a form of cashless online transaction payment method available on the Walmart app. You can quickly check out while shopping at any Walmart store. You can use it to store your debit and credit card information, as well as gift cards, reward points, and coupons. Walmart Pay offers similar rewards as your credit or debit cards and you don’t have to take out your wallet to avail of them. You can also track your expenses by checking your expenditure on groceries and household items among other expenses.
Security is ensured with a PIN and TouchID confirmation for every purchase. Your information is kept encrypted over SSL networks and your card information is not kept or received at the store.
Limitations of Walmart Pay
- Walmart Pay does not work at Walmart’s fuel pumps or Murphy USA gas stations and at Sam’s Clubs since the app does not connect to your back directly.
- You cannot receive cashback at the checkout counter in Walmart stores since the app does not connect to your back directly.
- Walmart Pay does not use NFC or Near Field Communication, hence no financial institution is pinged only Walmart servers are notified to accept payment from your device. Hence, you may need to keep cash in your Walmart Pay wallet.
Other forms of acceptable payment options
Due to certain limitations of Walmart Pay, you can also use other forms of payment methods which include:
- Credit cards like Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover
- Debit cards
- Capital One Walmart credit cards and Walmart MasterCard
- Walmart gift cards and e-gift cards
- Chase Pay
- Amex Express Checkout
- Electronic Benefits Transfer or EBT cards through SNAP or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program food stamps and benefits.
Also read: Does McDonald’s take Apple Pay?
Always curious, calm, and a little crazy, you can find me daydreaming or studying. An avid reader, traveler, and graduate of Aviation Science, I love gaining new experiences in life and star gazing.
You can contact her here: [email protected]