Fast roaming allows Orbi wireless devices to effectively connect to the most optimal band of Orbi router faster. You don’t need fast roaming if you are using the internet for normal use, like surfing websites or streaming online content. However, if you plan to play some high-definition online games, you need loads of internet speed.
Enter fast roaming. This article explains how you can enable fast roaming on an Orbi router to enhance your gaming experience.
Enable fast roaming on Orbi
Just follow the steps below, and you will have enabled fast roaming in no time.
- Open orbilogin.com on your computer and then log in to your Orbi device.
- From the Netgear Genie dashboard, click on the Advance menu.
- Afterwards, go to the Advanced Setup option and the Wireless Settings option to open the wireless settings page.
- On the wireless settings page, check to mark the Enable Fast Roaming box.
- Finally, select Apply option to finalise the settings.
Can’t enable fast roaming on Orbi: 3 fixes
In case you are unable to use fast roaming on your Orbi devices, here are some fixes that you can use.
Check the power supply
A low or insufficient power supply can prevent you from accessing fast roaming. Check that the router is plugged into the power source and also check that the wall socket is not damaged. Change the power socket if it is damaged or is in less than optimal condition.
Check the Ethernet cable
A faulty ethernet cable hampers the connection between the router and modem. Check the ethernet cable for faults and replace it immediately for a seamless performance.
If you are not using the ethernet cable you can connect the devices wirelessly. But make sure that the devices are placed at an optimal distance from each other.
Check for firmware updates
Companies release firmware updates from time to time. Be sure not to miss any of the updates.
Here are the steps to update the firmware on your Orbi router:
- Login to your Orbi router and then open the Admin dashboard.
- Next, go to Advance > Administration > Firmware update > Online update.
- Click on the Check button to check for any updates. If a new version is available, click on the Update All option.
- Wait for the update to finish and then restart the router and satellite.
After updating the firmware, try to enable fast roaming again. And if, after following the steps mentioned above, you can still access fast roaming, so you should contact Netgear for support.