When you upload a video on Youtube, the platform first processes the video before it can be viewed by others. While this process is happening, Youtube algorithms analyse the video, convert it into different formats and resolutions and apply any adjustments that you have made using Youtube’s video editor.
During HD processing, Youtube converts a video to a high-definition format — 720p, 1080p, and 4K. Youtube compresses the file size without compromising the quality. While Youtube is still working on the video, you will see a ‘Processing’ status displayed on your screen. Once the process is complete, the status changes to ‘Published’.
It is important to note that the videos uploaded to Youtube are subjected to review which can increase the processing time. In this article, we explore, how long HD processing takes on Youtube and will also talk about factors affecting HD processing time. In the end, we will present some tips to speed up the HD processing time.
How long does HD processing take on YouTube?
Usually, it takes somewhere around a few seconds to a few minutes depending on the video. For a two-minute HD video, it can take somewhere between 30 seconds to a minute to process. Similarly, a twenty-minute and longer video might take more time, usually up to 20 minutes.
Factors Affecting HD Processing Time on YouTube
Several factors affect the processing time of HD videos on Youtube. These include:
- Video length: The longer the video, the longer the processing time.
- Resolution: Higher resolutions such as 1080p and 4K require more processing time than lower resolutions like 480p.
- File format: Different file formats have different processing speeds. For instance, videos in MP4 format are usually processed faster than videos in AVI format.
- Internet Speed: The speed of your internet connection can also affect the processing time. Faster internet speeds will result in quicker uploads.
- Youtube server load: If the Youtube server is at its maximum capacity or there is a server outage, then the processing will take a much longer time and you have to try again.
- Time of the day: Youtube tends to have more traffic during peak hours thereby increasing the load on the server and delaying the processing time.
Now, let us head to some tips to speed up the processing time on Youtube.
Also read: Can you disable YouTube Shorts?
Tips to Speed up HD Processing on YouTube
There are several ways to improve the processing time of videos on Youtube. Here are some tips for that:
- Optimise your video file: Before uploading the video file on Youtube, make sure to optimise it for web viewing. This involves reducing the file size and using the correct video codec. You can also adjust the frame rate and bitrate to make the file more upload-friendly.
- Selecting a compatible video format: As explained earlier, the MP4 format is the best when it comes to Youtube. Although, Youtube supports a variety of file formats including MP4, MOV, AVI, and WMV. You should select a suitable file format to reduce the processing time.
- Upload during the off-peak hours: Upload your videos in the early mornings or late at night to reduce the processing time as fewer users are uploading at this moment.
- Upgrade your internet connection: Upgrading your internet connection to a more faster one can speed up the processing time. You can also consider using a wired connection instead of a WiFi. Also, remove the extra devices on your network to free bandwidth.
- Break up longer videos into smaller fragments before uploading: If your video is too long and you want to upload it within a stipulated time, consider breaking your video into smaller fragments.
- Monitor the upload process: Sometimes, the upload process fails and you have to start the uploading again. To save time, monitor the process to ensure that it’s progressing smoothly. If there are any delays, address them quickly.
- Troubleshooting technical issues: This means that you should carefully read the Youtube guidelines and make sure that the browser is updated.
By following these simple instructions, you can improve Youtube video processing time and ensure that the videos are available to your viewers quickly and ahead of your competition.
Also read: How many playlists can you have on YouTube?
Frequently answered questions (FAQs)
Here are some FAQs related to this topic that people usually ask:
How long does a 30-minute video take to process on Youtube?
As we have explained earlier, Youtube video processing depends on various factors such as the internet connection, video quality, video format and the status of the server.
However, if everything is working fine, it should take somewhere between 15 minutes to an hour depending on the video quality — lower resolutions will be processed quickly while the 4K resolution will take the longest time.
How long does it take for YouTube to process HD shorts?
Youtube shorts are of 15-60 seconds long and can take a few minutes to process and upload on Youtube.
Can I close out of YouTube while HD is processing?
Yes, you can close out of Youtube while your HD video is processing. Once you have uploaded the video to the servers, the processing will happen there and it has nothing to do with your browser or computer.
Also read: Why can’t I change the thumbnail on YouTube Shorts?