Netflix allows you to watch exciting TV shows and films without worrying about the time. You can watch TV shows wherever you are as Netflix also provides you with the downloading option. Although the competition is fierce, Netflix is still the widely preferred option.
However, the data rates in some countries are a cause of concern for some users. Here, we will explain about the amount of data that you will use while watching your favourite shows on Netflix.
Also read: How to change your Netflix password?
How much data does Netflix use?
Netflix has four different data plans in India — three that can be used on PC, streaming devices as well as smartphones and one that’s is exclusively meant for users streaming via a smartphone or tablet.
On the Computer
The data consumption rate depends on the video quality. Netflix provides four data rate settings which are as follows.
- Low: 0.3 GB of data usage per hour per device.
- Medium: 0.7 GB of data usage per hour per device. This setting works when you run the video in Standard Definition.
- High: 3 GB per hour per device for the High Definition videos and 7 GB per hour per device for the ultra high definition videos.
- Auto: You can select this option to allow Netflix to set the video quality depending on your internet connection.
Note: HD videos are only available for Standard plan subscribers and UHD videos are only available for Premium plan subscribers. If you’re on Mobile or Basic plan, you’ll only be able to access SD content.
To adjust the data usage settings on the computer, follow the instructions given below.
- Open Netflix and then select the account where you want to change the data settings.
- Now, click on the profile pic option at the top right of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select the Account option.
- Scroll down a bit and then click on Playback Settings under the My Profile heading.
- Now pick your desired setting.
Also read: How to delete your Spotify account?
On the mobile
If you are using the app, Netflix has four data usage options, which are as follows.
- Automatic: This will allow Netflix to select the video quality, which will depend on the sped of your data connection, which will amount to roughly 4 hours of video watching from 1 GB of data.
- WiFi only: You can download or stream exclusively on the WiFi and not on the cellular connection.
- Save Data: This setting will let you watch 6 hours of video in roughly 1 GB of data usage.
- Maximum Data: This setting is recommended for those who have an unlimited data connection or where the data rates are cheap. With this setting, you can watch for 20 minutes while using 1 GB of data.
To change the mobile data settings, follow the instructions given below. (Remember to delete all the pending downloads first)
- Open the Netflix app.
- Tap on the More menu at the bottom right of the app.
- Now, tap on the App Settings option.
- On the top, select the Mobile Data Usage option and then select the desired setting.
Many of you might have queries whether there is a difference in data usage while downloading or streaming the videos. The answer to this question is no — downloading or streaming a video consumes the same amount of data.
Former Senior Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant has a keen interest in social issues and international relations.