There is no doubt that Apple’s AirPods are elegant, convenient and have great sound too. However, given their small size, it’s entirely possible that you lost one of them or the pair. Fortunately, Apple’s Find My feature, which is a great aid for finding lost iPhones and iPads, also works for AirPods.
In this article, we will guide you on how to set up Apple’s Find My tool and use it to locate your lost AirPods via another Apple device or PC.
How to Setup Find My iPhone/ iPad
To track your lost AirPods, Find My feature should be enabled before you lose them; otherwise, the functionality does not work.
While Find My feature on your iPhone or iPad is enabled as soon as you sign in using an Apple ID if for some reason it isn’t, or you switched it off and can’t figure out how to turn it back on, check out our article here that’ll guide through the process of turning on Find My iPhone/iPad.
How to track your AirPods using Find My on another Apple device?
To track your misplaced AirPods, you will need your iPhone or another iOS device that uses the same Apple ID as the AirPods you are trying to locate. Follow the steps mentioned below to track your AirPods.
- Open Find My app on your iPhone or any other iOS device.
- Tap on Devices option from the tabs at the bottom of the app. All your devices with Find My enabled will be listed here.
- Swipe up and select the AirPods you want to track.
On the next page, you’ll see two options that’ll help you locate your device, which includes Play Sound and Directions. Below we’ve explained each of them to help you better understand which one will suit your needs the best, depending on your situation.
- Play sound: If you see your AirPods plotted nearby in the map, on the first half of the screen then tap Play Sound option. This will make each AirPods, that are out of the case, chime. If both buds are lost, you can mute the sound from either right or left and track one bud at a time. Additionally, the sound can only be played if your AirPods have been connected earlier to the device via Bluetooth. Else it will ask you to turn on the Bluetooth first.
Please note this will only work if the Airpods are out of the case. In case they are in the case, it will not play sound. However, their location will be shown on the map, and you can use the option below to track them.
- Directions: You will see the approximate location of your AirPods in the map plotted nearby or in their last know location. If the device is far away, tap on Directions option and follow the instructions on the map to find your device.
Also read: Top 7 drawing apps for iPad
How to track your AirPods using iCloud online?
Step 1: A pop-up window will appear notifying you about a sign-in to a new device. At the bottom of the box, click on the Allow button.
Step 2: It will display a two-factor authentication (verification) code that you’ll need to enter in the next step. Either memorise or take note and click on the Done button.
Step 3: Enter the verification code, and it will automatically take you to your iCloud account.
Step 4: Click on Find iPhone option, which will take you to the Find My tool. (You wouldn’t see this step if you directly went to icloud.com/find).
Step 5: Click on All devices on the top bar and select the AirPods you want to track.
Step 6: You will now see your device on the map. You can track your AirPods here. Near the top-right of the screen, you’ll also find Play Sound. Click on it to make your buds chime which will help you locate it if they’re nearby.
No location found
No Location Found message will be displayed for a few more reasons when you are trying to locate your AirPods, apart from if you didn’t turn on Find My in your iOS device before the AirPods were misplaced.
If your AirPods are discharged, you will not be able to locate them until they’re charged again. Also, if your AirPods are out of range, then they won’t appear in your iOS device. If you get a No Location Found message, you will not be able to use the Play Sound option. However, you might get the AirPods last known location.
Also read: Top 7 free VPN apps for iPhone