Continuing with our ongoing series about Slack to help you get things done on the cloud-based team collaboration tool, in this article we’re going to explain two methods that can help you make your Slack channel private. But before we go ahead, here are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Once you’ve made a Slack channel private, it can’t be reverted to public again.
- All the files shared in a Slack channel before it was made private will still be public and accessible to everyone in your Slack workplace.
- Private channels don’t appear under the Channels heading for anyone who is not a member.
- People can only be added to the channel by current members.
- Making a Slack channel private does not affect its history or member list.
Making Slack channel private
Login to app.slack.com, go to the Slack channel you want to make private and follow the steps mentioned below.
Step 1: Click on Details button at the top-right of the Slack channel window.Step 2: On the Details sidebar, click on More and then select Additional options from the dropdown menu.Step 3: On the next page, click on Change to a private channel.Step 4: On the next page, click on the Change to private button. Step 5: Then on the confirmation prompt, click on the Change to private button. Also read: How to change a Slack channel name?
Creating a private channel on Slack
If you’re creating a new Slack channel that you wish to be private, you can do so right at the time of creation.
Click on the ‘+’ sign beside Channels heading to start creating a new channel on your Slack workplace. Now click on the toggle button beside Make private (refer to the screenshot below) and then click on the Create button. Also read: How to invite someone to Slack?