Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018) has been unveiled with the first-ever quad-camera design on the rear. The for the device will be announced during their launch in India in November.
Among smartphones, the camera is one of the most focused features for the past few years and with the 4-lens design at the rear, Samsung has come up with yet another innovation in the fast-paced smartphone camera market.
“As a global leader in smartphone innovation, we understand the demand for meaningful innovation in a fast-paced world driven by visual communication,” said DJ Koh, President and CEO of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung Electronics.
The fingerprint sensor on the Samsung Galaxy A9 is located on the rear and the device also supports facial recognition.
The device will go on sale in India and other markets in November and the price will also be disclosed around the same time.
“Building on our legacy in smartphone camera development we’re introducing next-generation technology across our entire Galaxy portfolio to give more consumers the opportunity to experience cutting-edge innovation. We’re excited to deliver on this promise and debut world leading smartphone camera technology with the Galaxy A9.”
Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018) specs
- Display: The Samsung Galaxy A9 features a 6.3-inch Full HD+ Super AMOLED (1080 x 2220) display.
- Design: The device comes with a 3D glass curved back, an edge-to-edge display and has bezels on top and bottom at the front. The measurements are: 162.5 x 77 x 7.8 mm and weighs 183g.
- Processor: Galaxy A9 is powered by a powerful and highly responsive octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 processor.
- Memory and storage: The device comes in two variants, each of them has 128GB of internal storage that can be expanded up to 512GB via a microSD card and an option of either 6GB or 8GB RAM.
- Camera: The front camera of the Samsung Galaxy A9 sports a 24MP shooter, while the rear houses four lenses with the following specs: 24MP (Main camera lens), 10MP (Telephoto lens with 2X optical zoom), 8MP (Ultra wide lens with 120-degree FOV) and a 5MP (Depth camera).
- Battery: The device is backed by a 3800mAh battery that supports fast charging via a USB type-C connector.
- OS: Galaxy A9 will run on Android 8 Oreo out-of-the-box.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MIMO, Bluetooth version 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Fingerprint Sensor (rear mounted), Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor.
- Colours: The Galaxy A9 comes in the following three colours: caviar black, lemonade blue and bubblegum pink
The Galaxy A9 features digital assistant Bixby, Samsung Pay and Samsung Health.
Galaxy A9 Quad camera setup
In an industry-first move, Samsung has put four lenses on its rear camera that include a main camera lens, a telephoto lens, a wide-angle lens and a depth lens.
The 10MP telephoto lens allows users to get 2X optical zoom without losing any image quality. The 8MP ultra wide lens comes with a ‘scene optimizer’ and AI scene recognition that helps you take better shots and capture more in a single frame.
The 5MP depth lens will allow you to manually adjust the depth of field and focus on the subject — helping you create a bokeh effect. And the 24MP main lens helps you capture bright images even in low light conditions.
The Consulting Editor at Candid.Technology, Feeroz is a professional journalist with 33 years of experience, both in print, digital as well as in television. After Graduating from Delhi University, he began his journalistic journey with India’s leading news agency Press Trust of India in 1986. After working for nine years in print media, he became the first batch of media professional to switch over to electronic media in 1995. Since then he has been working with different news channels and digital media.