Samsung Pay was first launched in South Korea in August 2015, followed by a USA release a week later. Since then, the company has been adding countries to its list where Samsung Pay can be used.
On Tuesday, the company is celebrated the third anniversary of its mobile payment platform — Samsung Pay. The service now covers six continents and a total of 24 markets worldwide and has recently reached 1.3 billion transactions on the platform.
“Since we launched Samsung Pay three years ago, we have been dedicated to delivering a mobile wallet platform that is simple, secure and works almost anywhere. We have been expanding its availability and forming strategic partnerships in each market to meet the unique need of their users,” said DJ Koh, President and CEO of IT and Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics.
Samsung Pay also has Bixby integration that allows users to make purchases with a simple request to Samsung’s in-house voice assistant.
“And we’re not limiting ourselves to a mobile wallet — by integrating with our other mobile services, consumers will be able to earn Samsung Rewards points, use Bixby for a more seamless payment experience and more,” Koh added.
Which countries have Samsung Pay?
On the service’s third anniversary, we take a look at the 24 countries that have Samsung’s mobile wallet available.
- South Korea
- Puerto Rico
- Hong Kong
- South Africa
At the time of writing this article, preliminary access was available in France.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10
- Galaxy Note 10+
- Galaxy Note 9
- Galaxy S10
- Galaxy S10+
- Galaxy S9+
- Galaxy S9
- Galaxy Note8
- Galaxy S8+
- Galaxy S8
- Galaxy S7 edge
- Galaxy S7
- Galaxy S6 edge+
- Note 5
- Galaxy A8+
- Galaxy A7 (2017, 2016)
- Galaxy A5 (2017, 2016)
- Galaxy A9 Pro
- Galaxy J7 Pro
- Gear S2 Sport (Only NFC payments)
- Gear S2 Classic (Only NFC payments)
- Gear S3 Frontier
- Gear S3 Classic
- Gear Fit 2
- Gear Sport (Only NFC payments)
- Galaxy Watch (Only NFC payments)
- Galaxy Watch Active (Only NFC payments)
- Galaxy Watch Active 2 (Only NFC payments)
How to pay using Samsung Pay?
- Swipe up to launch the service.
- Authenticate with your iris, fingerprint or PIN.
- Tap your device on the terminal to pay.
Samsung Pay in numbers
- 15: The number of markets where online payments are available via Samsung Pay. These include Australia, Brazil, Switzerland and Taiwan.
- 5: The number of markets where transit cards are available via Samsung Pay. These include China, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and UK.
- 20: The number of markets with loyalty and membership cards available for Samsung Pay. These include Canada, France, Mexico and Sweden.
- 10: The number of markets where Samsung Rewards is available. These include India, Malaysia, Spain and USA.
- 5: The number of markets where ATM transactions are available via Samsung Pay. These include Russia, South Korea, UAE, USA and Vietnam.
- 2: The number of markets where Pay Planner is integrated with the service. This can help users spend more wisely and track their transaction history and also analyse their consumption pattern. The markets include South Korea and UAE.
Which cards work with Samsung Pay in India?
- American Express (Amex Credit Card)
- Axis Bank (Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards)
- Citibank (Visa and MasterCard credit cards)
- DBS Bank (Visa debit card)
- HDFC Bank (Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards)
- ICICI Bank (Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards)
- IndusInd Bank (Visa and MasterCard credit cards)
- Kotak Bank (Visa credit and debit cards)
- SBI (Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards)
- Standard Chartered Bank (Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards)
- Yes Bank (Mastercard credit card)
Other partners in India
- Pine Labs
- Bharat Billpay
Samsung Pay supported banks and credit unions in USA
Samsung Pay has partnered with American Express, Mastercard, Visa and discover for payment networks.
- American Express
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
- US Bank
- TD Bank
- Synchrony Bank
- Navy Federal Credit Union
- Fifth Third Bank
- BBVA Compass
Check out the list of participating banks and credit unions in USA here.
Samsung Pay in-app payment partners
- Samsung Cloud
- Galaxy Apps
- Shop Samsung
- Theme Store
- Alipay (China)
- WeChat Pay (China)
- BHIM UPI (India)
- PAYCO (South Korea)
- Chase Pay (U.S.)
- PayPal (U.S.)
- NAPAS (Vietnam)
Prayank heads the Editorial at Candid.Technology. When not writing, he loves taking trips on his bikes or chugging beers as Manchester United battle rivals.
Contact Prayank via email: [email protected] or call: +91-522-4333653