Snapchat is used by hundreds of millions of youngsters daily to share snaps, make contacts, keep up with what their friends are up to and a glitch in the app can cause a lot of problems for people who like to stay connected.
If your Snapchat app is stuck on the black loading screen with the “tap to load” option and you can’t load snaps even if you tap on the screen, we’ve got you covered here.
Here we’ve listed seven methods to help you fix the ‘Snapchat loading screen stuck on tap to load’ issue.
Restart your phone or try the Airplane mode
One of the easiest and straightforward ways to resolve almost any problem in your smartphone is to give it a quick reboot. Not only does it refresh the device but also clears any cached background processes that might be slowing down the device or hindering an app’s functioning — in this case, the tap to load error on Snapchat’s loading screen.
You can also try putting your device in Airplane mode and taking it off in 10-15 seconds to fix the issue.
Clear Snapchat app cache
App cache can often cause issues with the smooth functioning of an app. Follow the two methods below, which will help you clear Snapchat’s cache via in-app settings on iOS and Android, and via Android’s device settings.
Clear cache via Android settings
Open your Android device settings and follow the steps mentioned below to clear Snapchat app cache.
- Tap on Apps & notifications
- On the next page, if you’ve recently used Snapchat, it will appear under Recently opened apps at the top. If it doesn’t, tap on the See all apps option. Then find and tap on the name of the app whose cache you want to clear.
- On the next page, tap on Storage & cache.
- Then tap on Clear Cache.
Clear cache via app settings
Open the Snapchat app and follow the steps mentioned below to clear app cache.
- Tap on the profile icon at the top-left of the screen.
- Then on the next page, tap on the Gear (Settings) icon at the top-right of the screen.
- On the next page, scroll down to the bottom and tap on Clear Cache under Account Actions.
Update your Snapchat app
App updates bring bug fixes and improvements. If you haven’t updated your app in quite some time, it’s possible that your installation is riddled with bugs that need fixing.
Go to the Play Store on Android or App Store on iOS and check for updates to the Snapchat app. If you find one, update the app and then check if the tap to load issue is fixed.
Updating Snapchat on Android
Open the Play Store and follow the steps mentioned below to update Snapchat.
- In the Play Store, tap on the hamburger menu icon in the top-left.
- Tap on My apps and games.
- You’ll be able to see all apps that require an update here. If you see the Snapchat app, update it and your issue should be resolved.
Updating Snapchat on iOS
Open the App Store on your iPhone or iPad and follow the steps mentioned below to update the apps on your device.
- Tap on the profile icon at the top-right of your App Store’s homepage.
- Scroll down a bit to see a list of all the app updates available on the next screen.
- If you see an update available, tap on the Update button beside Snapchat.
Check your internet connection
Often a slow or spotty internet connection could cause the Snapchat app stuck on loading screen issue alongwith the tap to load message. If you’re running a WiFi connection, try repositioning the router to minimise interference between it and your device.
You can also try restarting the router to fix the error or update its firmware. If you’re on WiFi, try switching to cellular data and vice-versa.
Uninstall and reinstall Snapchat
If the ‘Snapchat loading screen tap to load’ error persists, you might want to uninstall and reinstall the app on your device. Any issues should go away with a fresh installation, alongwith all the app data and cache.
Reset app preferences
You can also try resetting app preferences to fix tap to load on Snapchat. This makes sure all app settings go back to their factory defaults. This will not delete any app data.
- Head over to your phone’s settings and tap on Apps & notifications.
- Tap on Show all apps.
- Tap on the three vertical dots in the top-right.
- Select Reset app preferences from the dropdown options.
Check if Snapchat is down
This doesn’t happen very often since Snapchat is built to support the hundreds of millions of users it boasts. Still, you can check if its server is down and that’s causing the Snapchat tap to load error.
One of the best ways to ascertain whether Snapchat is down is through their official Support Twitter handle, where the company is pretty active and puts out server error notifications. If you want to double-check Snapchat’s server, you can also do that through third-party websites like Downdetector.