Tagging is a feature through which you can notify a person or a business page on Facebook and bring something to their attention. This helps in a situation where you want an immediate response from the person. Twitter, among other social networks, also has the same feature where you can tag the person in your tweet or retweet.
In this article, we explain how you can tag a person or a business page on Facebook via the app as well as the Facebook website. However, before you go ahead with the guide, here are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Sometimes, while tagging, you will not see a particular person or a page. This is because they might have turned off the tagging feature from the settings.
- Avoid tagging the person that you do not know.
- You can tag the business page that you haven’t liked before.
- You can tag up to fifty people at a time.
- Business pages cannot tag a person in status. However, they can tag a person while commenting. This helps to solve the problem or query.
Also read: 7 best cloud storage apps for Android
How to tag people and page via the Facebook app?
Open the Facebook app on the smartphone and then sign in with your Facebook account. After that follow the steps mentioned below to tag a person or a page on Facebook.
- After you have logged in, go to the blank box at the top. You will see the following message in the box: Write something here followed by the same message in your native language.
- Here, type @pagename, where pagename is the name of the page that you want to tag. You can also type the name of the person instead of the page.
- Select from the list of the pages and peoples that Facebook will show you.
- After that, you can write your message to the page or person and expect to get a response from them. Rest assured, they’ll get notified about the tag.
The same process applies to Android as well as iOS.
How to tag people and page via the Facebook website?
To tag people and pages via the Facebook website, follow the instructions given below. Before that make sure to log in to Facebook.
Step 1: Go to the blank page where Write something here is mentioned.Step 2: Type @ and then the name of the page or person that you want to tag. Once the tag is created and you’ve posted, the user or page that has been tagged will receive a notification that they’ve been mentioned in your post.
What happens when you create a tag?
When you create a tag, a link is created which can have the reach depending on the settings of the tagged page or person. In normal settings, when you tag a person on your post, the audience includes the friends of the person, even if they are not in your friend list.
The tagged users can review the tag after being notified and can remove it too if they wish.
How to turn off the tagging feature?
To turn off the tagging feature on your account, go to Settings > General > Others tagging this page > Uncheck the box beside Allow people and other pages to tag (pagename). Where pagename is the name of your page.
After that, click on Save changes option.
Deputy Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant writes at the intersection of tech and culture and has a keen interest in science, social issues and international relations.
You can contact him here: [email protected]