The last system software update for Sony PS3 was released on November 14, 2017 — version 4.82, which improves the quality of the system performance.
In order to download the latest PS3 system software, you will need a minimum 200MB of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).
Keeping your PS3 updated with the latest system software update is important as then you can enjoy additional features, improved usability and enhanced security.
Things to keep in mind before starting the update
- Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
- Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Interactive Entertainment over a network or on disc media.
- Do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or as mentioned below.
If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data.
Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Interactive Entertainment.
You might also like: 6 free games for PlayStation Plus members this January
How to update system software on PS3
You can update system software on PS3 using these three methods:
Update using the internet
Download the update data directly to the system from the Internet. The latest update is automatically downloaded.
- Select Settings > System Update.
- Select Update via Internet. Download the latest update data from the Internet. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.
Update using a disc
Use an update file contained on a game disc to update the system.
When you play a disc that contains a later version of the system software, a screen is displayed to guide you through the update process. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform the update.
You might also like: How to update system software on PS4
Update using a computer
This update method can be used if your PS3 system is not connected to the Internet.
- Download the update file to your computer, and then save it on a USB storage device.
- Copy the saved file to the system storage of your PS3 system to update the system.
Note: There must be approximately 320MB of free space.
- On the USB storage device, create folders for saving the update file.
- Using a computer, create a folder named PS3. Inside that folder, create another folder named UPDATE.
- Download the update file, and save it in the UPDATE folder.
- Save the file with the file name PS3UPDAT.PUP.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
If your PS3 system does not recognise the update file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. Enter the folder names and file name in single-byte characters using uppercase letters.