Venmo is a popular mobile payment app that allows users to send and receive money quickly and easily. However, recently some users have complained that they can’t see their friends on Venmo search.
In this article, we’ll look into the reasons for Venmo search not working issue and will provide you with some quick fixes.
Venmo search not working: Possible causes
Here are some possible causes of why the Venmo search is not working on your device:
At times, Venmo’s main server may experience technical difficulties or undergo maintenance, leading to temporary disruptions in the search functionality.
Outdated app version
An outdated Venmo app can lead to search-related problems. As companies issue various patches to fix problems, an outdated app may be the reason for the current issue.
Internet connectivity issues
A stable and reliable internet connection is essential for Venmo’s proper functioning. Poor or intermittent internet connectivity can disrupt the app’s communication with Venmo’s servers.
App cache and data
Over time, the app’s cache and accumulated data can become corrupted or overloaded, impacting various functionalities including the search function.
User account issues
If you are having any user account issues, many functionalities may not work. This includes a ban on transactions for the time being or disruptions in search function of the Venmo app.
Also read: Can you send money from Venmo to Cash App?
Venmo search not working: Possible fixes
Now that we have understood the possible causes behind the non-working of Venmo searches, let us dive into some fixes so that you can go back to using Venmo without any hiccups.
Check Venmo servers
You should first start by checking the status of Venmo servers. If the servers aren’t working optimally, then there’s nothing you can do but wait it out. Go to any third-party website like Downdetector to assess the server situation.
Fix your internet
Poor internet connection is often the cause of apps not working properly on your device. There can be many reasons why there is no internet connection at your home or device. There might be an internet outage in your area or some issues with your Internet Service Provider.
Another reason for bad internet connectivity is faulty hardware — router, modem and ethernet cables, among others.
Here are some points to remember and check if you are trying to fix your internet:
- First, make sure that there isn’t any internet outage in your area. You can ask your Internet Service Provider for the information or you can visit their website.
- If there is no outage, then it is time to check the hardware to make sure that they are not damaged. Check all the hardware associated with the internet connection. That includes your router, modem, power cable, and the main power source, among others. Ensure that all the hardware is undamaged and working properly. If you notice any damage, change it asap.
- If the hardware is fine, then it is time to check the connections. Make sure that the cables are secured firmly in the proper ports.
- Sometimes, there is too much distance between the WiFi and the receiving device. Make sure that the distance is less. Or, you can directly connect the internet to your computer as it provides a more stable speed compared to WiFi.
- Also, remove any other electronic appliances that might interfere with the WiFi signals. While you are at it, place the WiFi on a raised platform so that the devices catch signals seamlessly.
- If there are many devices connected to your network, remove them before playing games on the internet as the devices share the limited bandwidth of the plan. You can also think of upgrading your existing internet plan.
- You can also flush DNS cache to reset the internet connection.
Clear Venmo cache and data
Clearing Venmo cache and data can resolve the Venmo search not working issue. Here’s how to clear Venmo cache on Android:
- Go to your phone’s Settings and tap on Apps.
- Scroll down and then tap on Venmo. After that, tap on App info.
- Now, go to Storage and cache > Clear cache.
iOS users can follow the steps below to clear the Venmo cache:
- Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
- Here, search Venmo and then tap on Offload App.
Update your device’s OS
Many users have reported that just by updating their device’s OS, they were able to successfully resolve Venmo search not working issue.
- Go to Settings > System.
- After that, tap on Check for updates. Also, turn on the toggle in front of Smart Updates. This will allow the device to install updates when it is connected to WiFi automatically.
To update iOS, follow the instructions given below:
- Open Settings and then tap on General.
- Now, tap on Software Update and then Download and Install.
If the Venmo app’s search functionality is not working even after you have followed all the above steps, you should uninstall the app and then download it from any app store
Contact Venmo support
As a final solution, you should contact Venmo support and tell them your problem in detail. Also, tell them what steps you have already taken so that they can provide exact solution.
Also read: Does Venmo work internationally?
Frequently answered questions (FAQs)
Here are some FAQs related to the topic:
Why can’t I search for people on Venmo?
There can be many reasons why you can’t search for people on Venmo including a server or internet outage, an outdated app and OS, a minor bug, or you have been blocked by the user.
Is something wrong with Venmo right now?
It is hard to exactly pinpoint the problem, but if you have a Venmo payment related issue, visit this article. Or if you want to unfreeze your account, we have an article for that too.
Also read: Can you Venmo yourself?