In the modern age of social media, usernames are an essential part of our lives. Not only they’re basically the name you’re known with online, but having a great username goes a long way in creating a brand.
The case is the same whether you’re making a personal account or a Facebook page. However, if you get hit by an error stating you’re not eligible to create a username for your Facebook page, you might end up getting stuck with the generic URL Facebook assigned to your page.
In this article, we’re taking a look at why you see the ‘you are not eligible to create a username’ error on Facebook and how you can fix it to pick the username you want.
What causes this error?
There are a bunch of reasons why you might encounter an error like this. Some of the most popular ones are as follows.
- You’re trying to pick an unavailable username.
- Your username is either too short or too long.
- The username must have alphanumeric characters.
- You must be a page admin.
- Your page should have 25 or more likes.
Fixing the “You are not eligible to create a username” error
By far, the best way to fix this issue is to ensure that you’re the admin of the Facebook page in question. Here’s how.
Step 1: Open your page on Facebook and head over to the settings option in the left side panel.
Step 2: Scroll down and click on Page roles.
Step 3: Make sure that the account you’re trying to change the username from is set as admin. If not, click on the Edit button and assign the required permissions.
Checking roles on the Facebook mobile app
If you’re on the Facebook mobile app, here’s how to ensure you have the right permissions to change a page’s username.
- Open the page in the Facebook app and tap on the settings icon in the top right.
- Tap on Page roles.
- Make sure that the account you’re using to edit the username is labelled as Admin. If not, either edit the permission or add a new person with admin privileges using the Add Person to Page button up top.
Someone who writes/edits/shoots/hosts all things tech and when he’s not, streams himself racing virtual cars. You can reach out to Yadullah at [email protected], or follow him on Instagram or Twitter.