With over 100 million active users, Steam is one of the largest gaming platforms and communities worldwide with hundreds of thousands of games on offer.
However, all of this won’t really be as fun as long as it’s not in your native language. If you’re unable to figure out how to change the language on the Steam interface for PC, check out our guide below.
Changing Steam’s interface language
Launch the Steam client on your PC and follow the steps below to change the interface language.
Step 1: Click on Steam at the top-left corner of your client. From the dropdown menu list, click on Settings.
Step 2: On the Settings pop-up window, click on Interface option from the left side panel. Then click on the downward-facing arrow under Select the language you wish Steam to use and choose your preferred language from the dropdown list (all available languages are listed below). Now click on Ok button at the bottom of the Settings menu.
If the language of your preference isn’t available yet, you can also help Steam translate things on the interface to your language by clicking on the Fluent in another language? Help us translate Steam link right below the dropdown language list option.
You can only change the language on the Steam client for PC.
On the same Steam settings page (as shown in the screenshot above), you can also select the default window that opens when you launch Steam (store, community, library) and change Steam’s skin, among several other optimisations.
Setting up a secondary language in Steam on PC
If you wish, you can also setup a secondary language for your Steam account. This language will be used to display anything on Steam that isn’t available in your primary language that you chose above.
Follow the steps mentioned below to setup a secondary language on Steam. You can also change your primary language on the same page.
- Click on your account name at the near the top-right corner of the Steam client window.
- From the dropdown menu list, select Account details.
- On your account page, click on Language Preferences from the left sidebar.
- Choose a secondary language from the list of languages available. You can also change the primary language for Steam here.
- Once you’re done, click on the Save button.
Also read: How to change your Steam account name?
Setting up a secondary language in Steam on smartphone app
- Tap on the triple horizontal bar (hamburger) menu icon at the top-left of the app.
- From the options that appear on the left sidebar, click on Store and then on Account Details. from the dropdown list
- On the next page, tap on Language Preferences from the options at the top half of the screen.
- Then select your primary and secondary language.
- Scroll down and tap on the Save button.
Languages available on Steam
While Steam doesn’t support all languages spoken worldwide, it has been improving its coverage. At the time of writing, the Steam interface can be changed to any of the following 28 languages using the guide above.
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Simplified Chinese
- Spanish (Latin America)
- Traditional Chinese