India is having a pretty gala time as far as mobile data is concerned — courtesy of Reliance Jio’s disruptive move to provide free internet as an introductory offer when the telecom network began service in 2016, followed by an unprecedented drop in internet data prices across the industry. However, the same isn’t true for most of the netizens globally as telecom providers continue to charge exorbitantly.
If you happen to be one of those who are still paying large amounts for your mobile internet data consumption, here is how you can check the data usage on your iPhone; followed by guides to help you stop apps from using mobile data as well as pause WiFi assist, which switches to mobile data whenever the WiFi signal is weak.
Checking iPhone’s mobile data usage
Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and follow the steps mentioned below to check the data usage.
- Tap on Mobile Data (or Cellular Data on iPad).
- On the next screen, scroll down and you’ll be able to see the total amount of mobile data all the apps combined have used beside Current Period under Mobile Data.
- You can also check individual app’s data usage in the list below.
- If you want to stop an app from using mobile data when your phone isn’t connected to the WiFi, tap on the toggle button beside that app.
- System Services: The amount of data that has been used by your iPhone or iPad’s System Services can also be viewed by tapping on System Services option, which will be among the list of apps. However, you can’t disable these from using your mobile data.
Reset Stats: If you want to reset the mobile data stats, you can scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap on Reset Statistics. You can also see the data below the option when the stats were last reset.
Also read: 14 new things you should check out in iOS 14
WiFi Assist and Personal Hotspot
WiFi Assist feature switches to mobile data whenever the WiFi connection is weak. However, if you feel that your iPhone or iPad is doing this too often or you would rather use a weak WiFi connection than spend the costly mobile data bytes, then you can scroll to the bottom of the app list under Mobile Data and tap on the toggle button beside Wi-Fi Assist to disable the feature.
You can also check out how much data you’ve spent using Personal Hotspot for specific devices that connected to it by tapping on the option at the end of the app list, right above Wi-Fi Assist.
Writes news mostly and edits almost everything at Candid.Technology. He loves taking trips on his bikes or chugging beers as Manchester United battle rivals.
Contact Prayank via email: [email protected]