Smartphones are as useful as they are distractive if usage time is not kept under check, and to keep that balance intact there is merely an app that reminds you of overuse and automatically halts for some time but fret not latest android phones come with a built-in feature to keep tracks of your screen time while using the device.
Here we’ve explained, how to use the Digital wellbeing feature integrated into your Android device to check screentime, set timer on the apps, activate various modes like bedtime, focus, and set up parental controls.
How to activate Digital wellbeing on Android?
This amazing feature will help you track down your daily screen time, including info on notifications, the phone unlocks and app usage. This feature will only get activated after getting due permission from the user and following the steps below.
- Go into the Settings of your device.
- Scroll down to the option where it says Digital Wellbeing & parental controls and hit the button.
- On the follow-up, window tap the three-dotted vertical line on the top right.
- Now move the toggle to green and activate the feature.
Also read: How to know if your Airpods are real?
How to set up a timer on Apps?
To break down your app usage time, Android phones now come with an inbuilt timer that restricts access to any particular app that is draining a lot of your time. And in times where popular social media apps like Facebook, Instagram Twitter, YouTube and so forth are so much in demand it is just normal to loosen up hours by just watching cat videos or reading trolls.
Follow the steps below to put a limit on the screen usage time of these apps.
- Open the digital wellbeing & parental controls under settings.
- Now click on the Dashboard button, which will display a list of all the apps. The ones at the top have been used recently. If you click on any of these apps, you can see the screen time of entire month alongwith notifications.
- From here Tap on the hourglass icon next to the app you wish to put on a timer.
- A pop-up window will appear, set a time limit ( timer reset at midnight) and press OK to confirm.
- If you wish to remove the timer, follow the same path discussed above, but click Delete Timer.
Note: When the assigned time will be over, you will receive a notification and the app icon will grey out meaning it won’t open until after midnight.
Also read: How to change your email on Instagram?
How to set up Bedtime mode?
This mode also works on to achieve the same result as the timer does but with different approach, Bedtime mode will Silence the phone and change the screen to black and white at bedtime.
- Click bedtime mode under digital wellbeing and parental controls.
- Now you can put up the mode based on two choices- your schedule or while charging at bedtime a.k.a after 2100 hours.
- Choose any and click the green Done button at the bottom of the screen.
This feature can also be further customised by choosing Do not disturb or Grayscale option.
Also read: How to find the MAC address of Google Home Mini?
How to activate focus mode?
Focus mode works by hiding the notifications and pausing the distracting apps temporarily. You need to choose the time and day of the week when you wish to go into deep focus and unwind.
The mode also offers break time for little dillydally.
- Choose focus mode under Digital wellbeing & parental controls window.
- Click the Green -Turn ON Now- button on the top after selecting the app you wish to pause, and you are good to go.
Note: After the activation, you will get a notification that can disable the mode or put it on hold for some time.
Also read: How to Cut and Move audio in Audacity?
How to manage kids Screen time on Android?
Now, this section is for setting parental control over the device of your kids- if any- to manage their screen time or add restrictions to unwarranted google services and to do so, both you and your kid need to have a google account and the Family link app installed on the guardian,s Android set.
Setting up parental control on your phone
Go to your phone’s settings and follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Digital wellbeing & parental control under settings.
- Now push down to the end of the menu and select Set up parental control settings.
- On the follow-up window, select Parent as it is your device.
A prompt window will pop-up, asking you to download the Google family link app, click install and agree all the follow-up prompts.
Setting up parental control on your Kid’s phone
Go to the settings of your kid’s phone and follow the steps mentioned below.
- On the child,s device open settings> Digital wellbeing & parental controls> set up parental controls.
- Click Get started on the next screen.
- This time Select child or teen as now you are tweaking your child,s phone.
- Now select the Google account of your child you wish to supervise. If you don’t find any account create one and then follow the on-screen prompts.
Also read: How to change units in Solidworks?