A cache is a temporary storage mechanism and is used to store data which is small in size and is required frequently by the user or the machine to perform user-assigned tasks. The cache storage mechanism is different from the primary memory and is cost-effective as well as increases the throughput time, thereby reducing the operation time. However, over time, a cache can accumulate and can cause the device to lag. Hence, it is necessary to clear the cache from time to time.
In this article, we will explain how you can clear cache in Windows and can boost the performance of your computer.
How to clear memory cache in Windows?
To clear the memory cache in Windows 10, follow the steps given below.
- Right-click on the Windows icon at the bottom left of the screen.
- After that, click on the Run option.
- On the new screen, type %temp% and then press Enter.
- You will see various files in the Temp folder. Delete the files by selecting all the files and then right-click > Delete. (Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + A to select all the folders and files and then hit the Shift + Delete on the keyboard).
- Again, right-click on the Windows icon and then select the Run option.
- On the Run window, type temp and then press Enter.
- Again, follow the same instructions — delete all the folders and files by applying either of the two methods.
Note: You can type Windows key + R to directly go to the Run menu screen.
How to clear Windows Store cache?
If you want to clear Windows Store’s cache, follow the instructions given below.
- Right-click on the Windows icon located at the bottom left of the screen.
- Select the Run option and a new screen will open.
- In the new screen, type WSReset.exe and then press Enter.
After you have done this, you will see a blank command prompt screen for a few seconds (as shown in the screenshot above), after which the Microsoft Store will open.
In this way, you can clear the cache of Windows Store.
Also Read: What is Reddit karma? 7 ways to earn it
Perform a Disk Cleanup
Disk Cleanup is an integral feature of the Windows OS and has been present as long as I have been using Windows.
To perform a disk cleanup, follow the instructions given below.
- Type Disk Cleanup in the search box at the bottom and then click on the folder, as shown in the screenshot above.
- After that, select the drive that you want to clean.
- Now, select the files that you want to delete.
- Click on Clean up system files option.
By following the above procedure, you can easily clean the drive.
Clear Windows DNS cache
We have explained how you can clear the DNS cache in Windows and MAC alongwith how does DNS works in an article published earlier this year in August. You can learn what is DNS and how does it work here.
We hope that this article has cleared all the doubts about how to clear cache in Windows. If you have any doubts, mention it in the comment box given below and we will be happy to address that.
Former Senior Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant has a keen interest in social issues and international relations.