Groups is one of the most elementary features across social networks of varying genres and LinkedIn is no different as it allows users to create groups based on different parameters. Since Linkedin is primarily a professional social network, Groups mainly cater to alumni from various institutions or office networking, among several other use cases. It is also one of the easiest ways to share your content with your colleagues and friends online in one go.
The process for creating a group on the Linkedin app or website is mostly similar but we have included both the guides for clarity.
Also read: How to ask for a recommendation on LinkedIn?
Creating a group on the LinkedIn app for Android and iOS
Launch the Linkedin app on your Android or iOS device and follow the steps below to create a group on Linkedin.
- Tap on your profile picture at the top left corner of the screen.
- Then in the menu that appears to the left, tap on the Groups icon.
- On the next screen, tap on the Create button at the top-right corner.
- Then you will be asked to fill several details (refer to the screenshot below), which are self-explanatory, but for clarity have been discussed after the images below the image.
- After you are done filling the group’s details tap on the Create button at the top right corner of the screen.
- Your group will be created and you can invite people to your group by tapping on the Invite button below the group information and you can tap on Share button beside the Invite button to promote your group.
- You can edit the group information and any pending post and manage membership as the owner of the group by tapping on the Manage group button at the left corner below the search box.
You can set the name and description for the group, add up to three industries that are associated with the group and add your group’s location. If there are any rules you want to set for the group then add it in the group rules section.
You can set Group discoverability as listed or unlisted, if you select Listed option your group will appear in the search results of other users and if you choose Unlisted option your group will not appear in any search results; in which case you’ll need to invite people using the group link. You can set whether to allow the members to invite 1st-degree connections or not and you can set whether every new post requires admin’s approval or not.
Creating a group on LinkedIn’s website
Login to your account on Linkedin.com on your PC and follow the steps below to create a group on Linkedin
Step 1: Click on the Work icon, last icon from left in the menu bar at the top of the screen and then in the menu that appear click on the Groups icon.
Step 2: On the next screen, click on the Create group button at the top-right corner of the screen.
Step 3: Linkedin will ask to fill information for the group and we have explained all the details above in the guide for the Linkedin app. After you are done filling the group’s details click on the Create button at the bottom right corner of the box.
Step 4: Your group will be created and you can invite people to your group by clicking on the Invite Connections (in the blue box) button below the member details and you can click on the on Share (curved arrow) icon beside the Bell icon to promote your group.
You can edit any pending post and manage membership as the owner of the group by clicking on the Manage group option in the menu on the left side of the screen. You can also edit the group information by clicking on the Edit group option below the Manage group option.
Also read: How to see connections on LinkedIn?
Akash is a law graduate who likes to go for bike rides on the weekends soul-searching for answers to his many existential questions.