Truecaller is a service to identify calls from unknown numbers. To do that, Truecaller has a database, where they store millions of phone numbers and other details of the users. However, you can delete your phone number, if and when feel uncomfortable with this whole data collection process. In this article, we will explain how to completely delete Truecaller from your life.
How to deactivate your Truecaller account?
If, for some reasons, you feel the need to deactivate your Truecaller account, follow the steps given below.
- Open the Truecaller app.
- Tap on the top left corner, tap on the Hamburger icon, and a menu will open.
- Select the Settings option.
- In the Settings option, tap on Privacy Center option.
- Tap on Deactivate and then confirm by tapping on Yes.
Your phone number will be deactivated, and you will see the GET STARTED screen again.
How to delete your phone number?
After deactivating your Truecaller account, you can pause and carry on with your life. However, your number will still be in Truecaller’s database. In Truecaller’s jargon, deleting is mentioned as unlisting. To remove or unlist your number from the company’s database completely, follow the steps given below.
- First, deactivate your account by following the steps given above.
- Then visit the Truecaller’s unlisting page by clicking here.
- In this page, you will see a box. Enter your phone number in the box along with the correct country code. (India’s country code is +91).
- Tick mark the I’m not a robot and then click on UNLIST PHONE NUMBER.
- Click on UNLIST.
As per the company, it will take 24 hours for the company to remove your number from the database.
Why should you delete the phone number?
There could be various reasons to delete the number from Truecaller’s database.
- Your phone is stolen or hacked.
- You are not comfortable in giving your number to other strangers.
- You have certain privacy issues. Recently, Truecaller was under immense criticism, when it was revealed that the app was sending the user’s private data without their permission.
So, the matter of fact is that your data and information is your property, and if you feel that they are being compromised, you can take actions like deleting your data from the app as soon as you can.
Although, it’s important to note that Truecaller adds the Contact list of its users to its database. So, if a friend of yours is using the service, your name alongwith the number might appear as it’s saved in their phone.
Former Senior Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant has a keen interest in social issues and international relations.