Gmail needs no introduction; we all have used the email service at least once in our lifetime. Although having an email account is a necessity in today’s world and Gmail is a giant in this field, many of us feel that, given the recent trends in data privacy, deleting Gmail account and switching to a more privacy-oriented alternative is a safe option.
Another reason for you to delete the Gmail account is in a case your Gmail account has been hacked, or you want to try another service. Whatever might be the reason, if you want to delete your Gmail account permanently, here we tell you exactly how to do that.
What will happen when you delete the Gmail account?
As per Google, deleting the Gmail account will do the following.
- Delete all your data including calendars, emails, files and photos etc.
- All the Google Services related to the account will be unusable.
- All your subscriptions will be lost.
Now that you have understood the aftereffects of deleting your account let us go forward with the procedure.
Delete Gmail account on Android and iOS
If you are an Android user, you can delete the Gmail account by following the steps given below.
- Open the Gmail app.
- On the top left, tap on the three lines menu.
- On the drop-down menu, tap on Settings.
- Click on the account that you want to delete. (in case, you have multiple accounts).
- Tap on Manage your Google Account.
- Under Data and Personalisation, select Delete a service or your account.
- Select Delete your Google Account.
- Enter your password.
- Swipe down, tick mark the two blocks, and then select Delete Account.
Note: While the screenshots above are from and Android smartphone, the same steps will apply on the Gmail app for iOS too.
Delete Gmail account on Computer
If you work on Computer and want to delete Gmail account, follow the steps given below.
- Open Gmail.
- On the top right corner, click on the user profile and a drop-down menu will open up.
- Click on the Google Account.
- On the new screen that will appear, select Data and personalisation.
- Swipe down, and select Delete a service or your account, which is present under Download, delete or make a plan for your data heading.
- After that, select Delete your Google Account and enter your password.
- Read the instructions carefully, swipe down, tick mark the empty boxes.
- Then click on DELETE ACCOUNT.
Deputy Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant writes at the intersection of tech and culture and has a keen interest in science, social issues and international relations.
You can contact him here: [email protected]