Facebook is by far one of the most popular social media networks on the planet. With the network being offered on just about every platform and having major Android and iOS, it’s available to a vast audience.
However, even a company as big as Facebook can sometimes see bugs and glitches in their platform. In this article, we’re looking at a few things you can do if your Facebook notifications aren’t working.
Also read: How to delete sent photos on Facebook Messenger?
Restart your device
Regardless of whether you’re on Android or iOS, restarting your phone or tablet can fix a bunch of seemingly random issues. So if you’re also experiencing issues with notifications, try restarting your device first.
Update the Facebook app
Another common reason why apps stop functioning on their own is that the version you’re running might be outdated. Head over to the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store and check for any updates for the Facebook app. If there are any, update the app and try again.
Also read: How to search Facebook without an account?
Connected devices for iOS
If you’re using an Apple Watch with your iPhone, there’s a good chance your Facebook notifications are being redirected to your watch instead. If you’re using a watch and your iPhone is locked, iOS, by default, redirects the notifications to your watch. You can, of course, go ahead and change this behaviour by changing the Apple Watch notification settings.
Check Do Not Disturb mode on iOS
If your iOS device has DND mode enabled, iOS will automatically silence notifications from almost all apps on your phone. Here’s how you can check if DND mode is messing with your Facebook notifications.
- Head over to the iOS settings and tap on Do Not Disturb.
- Make sure that the Do Not Disturb and Scheduled sliders are disabled.
- Additionally, scroll down and make sure that the DND mode is set to manual while driving.
Also read: How to fix ‘Facebook Messenger Video Calls Not Working’ issue?
Check auto-sync on Android
If you’re on Android, check to ensure that auto-sync for the Facebook app is enabled.
- Head over to your phone settings and tap on Accounts.
- Tap on Facebook.
- Tap on Account sync.
- Tap on the three vertical dots in the top right.
- Tap Sync now.
Check push notifications on iOS
Check to ensure push notifications on your iOS device are enabled.
- Head over to settings and scroll down to the list of installed apps. Tap Facebook.
- Tap Notifications.
- Toggle the slider next to whichever type of notification you want and make sure it’s enabled.
Also read: Facebook Page vs Facebook Group: Which one suits your needs more?
Fixing Android notifications from Facebook desktop
Another thing you can do is go through Facebook’s desktop platform and change a few settings to see if your Android notifications start working. Here’s how.
Step 1: Head over to the Facebook site from your PC, click on the down arrow in the top left and then click on Settings and Privacy.
Step 2: Click on Settings.
Step 3: Scroll down in the left pane and click on Apps and websites.
Step 4: Select all of the apps here and click the Remove button.
Step 5: Now scroll down and under Preferences, click on the Edit button under Apps, websites and games.
Step 6: Click Turn off in the window that appears.
Now switch over to the Facebook app on your phone and follow these steps.
- Open the Facebook app and tap on the hamburger menu icon in the top-right.
- Scroll down and tap on Settings & Privacy.
- Tap on Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Notification Settings under Notifications.
- Select the type of notification you want to receive and/or check.
- Make sure that the Push slider is enabled. You can enable the SMS or Email sliders too if you want.
Note that you can follow the aforementioned Facebook app steps on iOS devices as well to check if the notifications you want are enabled or not.
Reset your phone
One thing that can fix just about any problem on your phone is to factory reset the device. Do keep in mind that you will lose all the phone data that you haven’t backed up either locally or on the cloud. We recommend only using this method as a last resort.
Also read: How to unpublish a Facebook page?