Used by over a billion people every day, Instagram is unarguably one of the most popular social networks out there that helps people connect with their friends and keep up with what’s happening in each other’s life. However, the entire experience can be ruined by bugs and glitches, especially if they prevent you from checking out what’s new in your newsfeed.
One such error on the app is the ‘Instagram couldn’t refresh feed’ issue, and here we’ve listed seven ways to resolve it in a jiffy.
Restart your phone
One of the easiest and straightforward ways to resolve almost any problem in your smartphone is to give it a quick reboot. Not only does it refresh the device but also clears any cached background processes that might be slowing down the device or hindering an app’s functioning — in this case, the Instagram couldn’t refresh feed error.
Also read: How to fix the ‘Can’t follow on Instagram’ error?
Switch to Airplane mode or manually disconnect/reconnect network
You can also try putting your device in Airplane mode and taking it off in 10-15 seconds to fix the issue. Alternatively, you can manually disable the WiFi and cellular data on your device and then enable it after 10-15 seconds.
Instagram couldn’t refresh feed error could be caused by poor internet speed or a spotty connection, you can try switching from WiFi to cellular data or vice-versa and see if that fixes the issue.
Log out and log in again
Another simple yet effective method, logging out of your Instagram account and then logging back in can fix the error. Follow the steps mentioned below to log out of Instagram
- Tap on your profile picture at the bottom-right of the app.
- Then tap on the triple horizontal bar (hamburger) menu icon at the top-right.
- Tap on Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the next page and tap on Log Out.
Also read: How to fix the ‘Instagram notifications not working’ issue?
Clear app cache
Clearing app cache can often fix bugs in apps, and the same is true for Instagram couldn’t refresh feed error. Open your Android device’s settings and follow the steps mentioned below to clear Instagram app cache.
- Tap on Apps and notifications.
- Tap on Show all apps and find Instagram from the list. If you’ve recently used Instagram it’ll show up in the recent apps as well.
- Tap on Instagram.
- Then tap on Storage & cache.
- Then tap on the Clear Cache button.
Update the app
App updates bring bug fixes and improvements. If you haven’t updated your app in quite some time, it’s possible that your installation is riddled with bugs that need fixing.
Go to the Play Store on Android or App Store on iOS and check for updates to the Instagram app. If you find one, update the app and then check if the tap to load issue is fixed.
Updating Instagram on Android
Open the Play Store and follow the steps mentioned below to update Instagram.
- In the Play Store, tap on the hamburger menu icon in the top-left.
- Tap on My apps and games.
- You’ll be able to see all apps that require an update here. If you see the Instagram app, update it and your issue should be resolved.
Updating Instagram on iOS
Open the App Store on your iPhone or iPad and follow the steps mentioned below to update the apps on your device.
- Tap on the profile icon at the top-right of your App Store’s homepage.
- Scroll down a bit to see a list of all the app updates available on the next screen.
- If you see an update available, tap on the Update button beside Instagram.
Also read: Restrict vs Block on Instagram: Key differences and Privacy guide
Try Instagram on other devices
You can try logging into your Instagram account on other smartphone or PC and see if you’re able to access your refreshed feed over there. If you’re able to, that indicates that either your app or device is at fault. Try all the methods listed above to fix the error or follow the method below.
Uninstall and reinstall the app
If the ‘Instagram couldn’t refresh feed’ error persists, you might want to uninstall and reinstall the app on your device. Any issues should go away with a fresh installation, alongwith all the app data and cache.
Also read: How to remove phone number from Instagram account?