Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms in the world right now and has completely changed the way we share our lives online with friends and family.
However, just like everything else in the tech world, even Instagram is not immune to random bugs and glitches from time to time. In this article, we’re talking about how to get around the Instagram won’t let me login error.
What causes the ‘Instagram won’t let me login’ issue?
Instagram login issues can be caused by a number of reasons ranging from your account being disabled by Instagram, a temporary ban for violating Instagram’s policies or simply a technical glitch on either your or Instagram’s end.
Here’s a list of few of the most common login errors you might encounter.
- We can’t sign in to your account.
- Instagram username not found.
- Sorry there was a problem with your request.
- We couldn’t connect to Instagram. Make sure you’re connected to the internet and try again.
- The username you entered doesn’t belong to an account. please check your username and try again.
Some of these errors can indicate your account being banned or restricted by Instagram for violating any rules or policies.
Also read: How to turn off Instagram notifications?
How to fix Instagram login issues?
Here are nine ways you can fix any login issues you’re facing on Instagram, including Instagram won’t let me login error.
Restart your device
Restarting your device should be the first item on your troubleshooting list every time you’re trying to resolve any such issue. This almost a magic trick that can resolve a bunch of seemingly random issues.
Check your internet connection
Aforementioned, the ‘Instagram won’t let me login’ error isn’t exactly super descriptive. If you haven’t done anything in your knowledge that violates Instagram’s policies, you could simply be facing internet issues on your device.
If you’re on WiFi, it’s a good idea to restart your router as well. Alternatively, try readjusting the positioning of the router to minimise interference.
Try Instagram on other devices
You can try logging into your Instagram account on other smartphone or PC and see if you’re able to access your account from there. If you’re able to, that indicates that either your app or device is at fault.
Also read: How to remove phone number from Instagram account?
Try resetting your password
You can try resetting your password to see if that lets you log in to Instagram. All you need to do is open the Instagram app or website and tap on the Forgot Password link if you’re on the site or Get help signing in link if you’re on the app.
Follow the instructions from here to update your password and try again.
Check for updates
More often than not developers of an app are aware that their users are experiencing issues and release an update to fix any problems. You can try and check if there’s an update to your Instagram app and install it to resolve the issue.
Follow these steps for Android.
- In the Play Store, tap on the hamburger menu icon in the top-left.
- Tap on My apps and games.
- You’ll be able to see all apps that require an update here. If you see the Instagram app, update it and your issue should be resolved.
Follow these steps for iOS.
- Tap on the profile icon at the top-right of your App Store’s homepage.
- Scroll down a bit to see a list of all the app updates available on the next screen.
- If you see an update available, tap on the Update button beside Instagram.
Reinstall the Instagram app
If updating didn’t solve the issue or there was no update available, removing the app from your phone and installing it again can also fix a bunch of seemingly random issues.
Clear your app’s cache
Clearing the cache can get rid of any corrupted temporary files that may be causing the ‘Instagram won’t let me login’ error.
Follow these steps for Android.
- Head over to your phone’s settings and tap Apps and notifications.
- Tap on Show all apps and find Instagram from the list. If you’ve recently used Instagram it’ll show up in the recent apps as well.
- Locate Instagram in this list.
- Once on the app settings page, tap on Storage and cache
- Tap on the Clear cache button to clear all the data your app has stored.
Follow these steps for iOS.
- Tap on General.
- Head over to iPhone Storage.
- Scroll down to find Instagram and tap on it for more options.
- Tap on Offload App. This will clear the app’s cache.
Now restart your phone and try logging in again.
Also read: How to fix the ‘Can’t follow on Instagram’ error?
You can also try contacting Instagram if you believe that that is an issue from their end and request help to resolve the issue.
- Open the Instagram app and head over to your profile by tapping your profile picture in the bottom-right.
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon on the top right to open the options menu.
- Tap on Settings.
- Head over to Help.
- Under Help tap on Report a Problem.
- You’ll be presented a few options to choose from. Tap on Report a Problem again.
- Here you can describe the issues you’re facing and attach any relevant screenshots as well.
Instagram should get back to you with a potential solution and solve your login issues.
Try logging in with your Facebook account
Linking your Facebook account to your Instagram profile can also help you get around any login issues that you’re facing, including the ‘Instagram won’t let me login’ error.
Do keep in mind though that if you’ve already linked your Facebook and Instagram accounts, you might have to make a new Facebook account for this method to work.
Step 1: Head over to your browser and log in to Instagram, Now head over to your profile by clicking on your profile picture icon.
Step 2: Open your profile settings by clicking on the Edit Profile button.
Step 3: Scroll down on the Edit Profile tab and click on Accounts Center.
Step 4: Click on your Facebook account.
Step 5: Click on Remove from Accounts Center.
Now reinstall your Instagram app and select the login with Facebook account this time around while logging into the app or from the website.
Also read: How to fix ‘Instagram Couldn’t Refresh Feed’ error?