Have you ever encountered the frustrating error message “Your post could not be shared. Please try again” when sharing something on Instagram? If yes, you are not alone. Many people have reported facing this issue on the platform.
In this article, we’ll explain the possible causes of this error and provide some easy fixes so that you can get back to sharing your favourite posts on Instagram with your followers.
Why can’t you share posts on Instagram?
There could be several reasons that can prevent you from sharing posts on Instagram. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Unstable internet connection: If your internet connection is unstable or slow, you will face issues while posting on Instagram.
- Your account type: Sometimes, your account type also dictates what posts you can share. You cannot share posts from other private accounts if your account is private. To share posts from private accounts, you need to make your account public or ask them to accept your follow request.
- Your post source: You can only share posts from the feed or the explore tab. You can’t share posts from direct messages, stories, reels, IGTV, or other apps. This is because Instagram limits the sharing feature to certain types of posts only.
- Your post owner: Some users may disable the resharing option for their posts. You won’t be able to share posts from these users.
- Outdated app: You may have an outdated Instagram application. This may limit certain functionalities of the app.
- Restricted data usage setting: Social media applications like Instagram consume a lot of data even while you are not using the apps. So, many people restrict the data usage of such applications, which may cause certain problems.
- Problems with the servers: Sometimes, the Instagram servers are down due to technical faults or server maintenance. If this happens, Instagram will be temporarily down, and you will have to wait for the servers to back up and running again.
- Problems with cache: Sometimes, cluttered cache is the cause of many issues with the apps. You should clear the cache and try to post on Instagram again.
- Problems with the file size: If you’re trying to post a large image or video file, uploading may take longer. Also, Instagram may outright reject such uploads and show you the error.
How to fix the ‘Your posts couldn’t be shared on Instagram’ error?
There are some simple solutions that you can try to fix this error, such as:
Make your account public
If your account is private, consider switching it to a public profile. Here’s how to do that:
- Open Instagram and then tap on the hamburger menu at the top right of the screen.
- Now, head to Settings and privacy > Account privacy.
- In the Account privacy settings, turn off the toggle before the Private account.
Log out and then log in again
Sometimes, simple steps like signing out and signing back again fix many errors, including the ‘Your posts couldn’t be shared on Instagram’ error.
Tap on the hamburger menu at the top right corner and then head to Settings and privacy > Log out <account name>/Log out all accounts.
Also read: 16 Tinder personality types explained
Check your internet connection
As explained earlier, a faulty internet connection will hamper your uploading speed, and in turn, Instagram may throw Your posts couldn’t be shared on Instagram’ error.
To fix the internet, first, check your router and other internet hardware for damages. You can also confirm any internet outage in your area with your Internet Service Provider.
Then, move on to the cables. Ensure that all cables are firmly fixed in their respective ports. If you’re using WiFi, ensure there isn’t much distance between the WiFi and the receiving device.
Finally, you can remove any appliances that may interfere with the signals. After following all these instructions, check Instagram again and see if you are still getting the error.
Update Instagram app
An outdated app can cause troubles with a lot of functionalities. So, keep your apps updated.
Here are the steps that you can follow to update the app:
- Tap the hamburger menu at the top right of the screen and then go to Settings and privacy > About.
- Go to Help > App updates to check for any new updates.
Usually, one should turn on the auto-update feature if it is available on the app. Update the app and check if it fixes the ‘Your posts couldn’t be shared on Instagram’ error.
Also read: What is the highest Snap Score?
Clear Instagram app’s cache
Sometimes, a corrupt cache can cause various issues with the app. So, clearing the cache should be on your list of fixes. Here’s how to clear the Instagram cache on Android:
- Go to your phone’s Settings and tap on Apps.
- Scroll down and then tap on Instagram. After that, tap on App info.
- Now, go to Storage and cache > Clear cache.
Check Instagram’s servers
You should always start by first checking the server status of Instagram. If the servers are down, all the Instagram functionalities will be down, and you will see the ‘Your posts couldn’t be shared on Instagram’ error.
Visit Downdetector to confirm Instagram’s server status. If the servers are down, there’s nothing you can do but wait it out.
Also read: How to make a poll on Tumblr?
Reduce your file size
You may get the error if you upload raw and high-quality images or videos. You can reduce the file size with any third-party website or software and then try to post them again on Instagram.
Allow unrestricted data access to Instagram
Follow the steps given below to grant unrestricted data access to Instagram:
- Head to Settings > Apps > Instagram.
- Now, open the Mobile data and WiFi option and turn on the toggle before Unrestricted data usage.
Using these steps, you can easily resolve the ‘Your posts couldn’t be shared on Instagram’ error and get back to using the platform quickly.
Also read: How to change Facebook group name?