On Friday, Samsung announced its first Android Go smartphone — the Galaxy J2 Core — which is aimed at delivering a stable Android experience at low prices.
It’s possible that the device will be updated to Android 9 Pie Go edition as it’s lighter than its predecessor.
The Samsung Galaxy J2 Core is currently only being sold in India and Malaysia but the company says that they’ll be releasing it in other countries too.
“The Galaxy J2 Core offers a complete smartphone experience, incorporating some of the key features available on high-end devices with an improved battery, storage and performance that is particularly appealing to first time owners,” said Junho Park, VP of Global Product Planning, Mobile Communications Business at Samsung Electronics.
You might also like: Samsung Galaxy Note9 vs Galaxy Note8: 11 key talking points
Android Go improves the battery life, storage capacity and processing power of the device as the entire OS is a lightweight one and has apps designed for it too.
Samsung Galaxy J2 Core Specs
- Processor: Samsung’s first Android One device is powered by the 14nm quad-core Exynos 7570 SoC, which clocks at 1.4GHz (Cortex A53) and is supported by Mali T720 MP1 GPU
- Display: The Galaxy J2 Core features a 5-inch TFT (540 x 960)
- Camera: The rear camera of the device is 8MP while the front camera is 5MP
- Memory: The J2 Core features 1GB RAM and 8GB of internal storage
- Battery: The device is backed by a 2600mAh battery
- OS: It runs on Android Oreo (Go Edition)
- Sensors: Accelerometer and Proximity sensor
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.2, USB 2.0, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n (2.4Ghz)
The Android Oreo (Go edition) includes lightweight applications like Google Go, Assistant Go, YouTube Go, Gboard, Chrome, Maps Go, Files Go, Gmail Go and Google Play.
Android Go edition carries less bloatware as compared to standard Android versions and thus saves space. The Samsung J2 Core is an entry-level smartphone that is going to be priced at an affordable range. It can make for a good first smartphone or even a secondary one.