Snapchat is one of the most popular messaging apps on the planet right now. The app gamifies communication with your friends in a unique way and has quite a few features built around privacy, such as disappearing messages and screenshot notifications.
However, just like everything tech, it isn’t immune to a few bugs and glitches here and there. In this article, we’re looking at a few fixes you can try out if Snapchat notifications aren’t working for you.
Also read: What does ‘Pending’ mean on Snapchat?
Restart your phone
Whether you’re on an Android or iOS phone, restarting your device should always be on top of your troubleshooting list. Restarting can fix many seemingly random issues about anything from apps malfunctioning to your phone not running properly, so be sure to try it out.
Check your internet connection
Snapchat requires an active internet connection to work. If you have a spotty network, the chances are that you might not get notifications from the app. In such cases, check your internet connection. If you’re on WiFi, check to make sure you have internet access and good, strong signals. If you’re on Mobile Data, check if data is enabled and that you have good network coverage.
Also read: How to change streak emoji in Snapchat?
Try updating the app
The next thing you should try is looking for an update to the Snapchat app on the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. If there is an update available, install it immediately, and that should resolve your issue.
Try reinstalling Snapchat
If updating doesn’t work out for you, try removing the app from your phone and downloading it again. This is bound to freshen a few things up and remove any corrupted files or data restricting the app’s functionality.
Also read: Why does Snapchat keep crashing? 8 fixes
Make sure Snapchat notifications are enabled
Another thing you should check is whether or not notifications are enabled from the Snapchat app itself. Here’s how.
- Open the Snapchat app and tap your bitmoji in the top right.
- Tap the settings icon in the top left.
- Tap on Notifications.
- Make sure that the Enable Notifications setting is enabled. Also, make sure all the notifications you’d like to receive are checked as well.
Check Snapchat notifications on your device
The next thing to check is if there are any settings on your device that may be blocking Snapchat’s notifications.
Go to Android settings and follow the steps mentioned below.
- Tap on Apps & notifications.
- Tap on App info.
- Find Snapchat in the list and tap it to proceed.
- Tap Notifications.
- Make sure that notifications are enabled.
Go to your iPhone’s settings and follow the steps mentioned below.
- Head over to Notifications.
- Scroll down to find Snapchat. Tap it to proceed.
- Make sure that the Allow Notifications toggle is enabled.
Also read: How to fix ‘Snapchat black loading screen stuck on tap to load’ issue?
Reset app preferences (Android)
You can also try resetting app preferences, making sure all app settings go back to their factory defaults. This will not delete any app data.
- Head over to your phone’s settings and tap on Apps & notifications.
- Tap on Show all apps.
- Tap on the three vertical dots in the top-right.
- Select Reset app preferences from the dropdown options.
Clear the Snapchat cache
App cache can often cause issues with the smooth functioning of an app. Follow the two methods below, which will help you clear Snapchat’s cache via in-app settings on iOS and Android, and via Android’s device settings.
Clear cache from within Snapchat
Follow these steps to clear Snapchat’s cache from within the app.
- Tap on the profile icon at the top-left of the screen.
- Then on the next page, tap on the Gear (Settings) icon at the top-right of the screen.
- On the next page, scroll down to the bottom and tap on Clear Cache under Account Actions.
Clear cache from Android device settings
Follow these steps to clear Snapchat’s cache from Android’s system settings.
- Tap on Apps & notifications
- On the next page, if you’ve recently used Snapchat, it will appear under Recently opened apps at the top. If it doesn’t, tap on the See all apps option. Then find and tap on the name of the app whose cache you want to clear.
- On the next page, tap on Storage & cache.
- Then tap on Clear Cache.
Also read: How to get dark mode on Snapchat?