The mid-range smartphone market is a volatile one. There are constant upgrades made to the SoC’s in this segment by all manufacturers. The Kirin 710 is an in-house chipset from Huawei manufactured by HiSilicon; it first made an appearance on the Huawei Nova 3i. The Snapdragon 636, which improves upon the 630, came to the market with Xiaomi’s Redmi lineup.
The Snapdragon 636 and the Kirin 710 are the two SoC’s that we will compare in this article.
The Huawei manufactured chip is built on the 12nm design process, whereas Qualcomm’s is built using the 14nm process. This difference gives the 710 an edge over the 636 as the design difference comes with advantages like higher efficiency and better battery life.
Both the chips have an octa-core CPU, and on benchmarking applications, the 710 outperforms the 636. But where the 636 holds an advantage is in terms of quality of life features. It presents Bluetooth 5.0 in budget phones, whereas the Kirin only brings Bluetooth 4.2 to the table.
The 636 supports a 16MP dual-camera setup and a single 24MP camera. In contrast, the Kirin allows a device to run a 16 + 2 MP dual camera system only.
Also read: Snapdragon 855 vs Apple A12 Bionic vs Exynos 9820 vs Kirin 980
|Category||Snapdragon 636||Kirin 710|
|GPU||Adreno 509||ARM Mali-G51 MP4|
|Clock Rate||1800 MHz||2200 MHz|
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 has eight custom Kryo 260 cores at up to 1.8 GHz.
- An Adreno 509 GPU.
- An LPDDR4-2666 memory controller (1333 MHz) and an X12 LTE (Cat 12/13, 300 Mbps down, 150 Mbps up) modem.
- It comes with a module for Bluetooth 5.0
- Supports Qualcomm QuickCharge 4
Also read: Kirin 710 vs Snapdragon 675
- HiSilicon Kirin 710 eight processor cores (4x Cortex-A73 at up to 2.2 GHz, 4x Cortex-A53 at up to 1.7 GHz, BigLITTLE).
- An ARM Mali G51 MP4.
- A dual-channel LPDDR4 memory controller and an LTE radio (600 Mbps down, 150 Mbps up).
- Bluetooth 4.2 is present on this chip.
Please check the spec of Huawei p30 lite again .