Huawei is one of the largest companies in the smartphone market, and they ship all their devices with proprietary HiSilicon Kirin chipset range. They produce high-end chipsets and have never gone to any company for fulfilling their chipset demands. Most of the Android device manufacturers prefer to go with the Qualcomm’s Snapdragon offerings.
The chipset which Huawei uses in the upper mid-range section is the HiSilicon Kirin 710, while the chipset Qualcomm produces for the same segment is Snapdragon 675. Both of the chipsets are powerful for their price and produce similar results with some differences.
Also read: Snapdragon 855 Plus vs Apple A12 Bionic
Kirin 710 vs Snapdragon 675
The two chipsets are compared below on different parameters with a specification comparison table at the end of the article.
- Semiconductor Size- Snapdragon 675 uses an 11 nm LPP manufacturing node, while Kirin 710 uses a 12 nm manufacturing node. The Kirin 710 has a less efficient architecture than the SD 675.
- CPUs- The SD 675 has 2 Kryo 460 (CA76) @ 2.0GHz 256 KB L2 and 6 Kryo 460 (CA55) @ 1.7GHz 64 KB L2. The Kirin 710 has 4 Cortex-A73 @ 2.2 GHz and 4 Cortex-A53 @ 1.7 GHz. The SD chipset has a lower base clock speed of the two, but it doesn’t affect the performance of the chipset.
- GPU and RAM- SD 675 uses Adreno 612 and LPDDR4x as its RAM requirement and supports up to 8 gigs of RAM. Kirin 710 uses ARM Mali-G51 MP4, and LPDDR4 limited to 6 GB as its RAM requirement. The extra 2 GB of RAM support gives SD 675 an edge over Kirin 710.
- Benchmark (Antutu)- SD 675 (Redmi Note 7 pro) has a CPU score of 85516 and GPU score of 36106 which combines to an overall rating of 181,467, while the Kirin 710(Huawei Nova 3i) has a CPU score of 65581 and a GPU score of 22547 and a total score of 138280.
- Camera– SD 675 has Spectra 250 ISP with triple-camera support, while Kirin 710 has dual-camera support of max. 16MP + 24MP. The lack of a third camera module keeps the phone restricted from giving users a range of focal length to click pictures.
- Miscellaneous Features– Both chipsets have certain specific features which the other chipset lacks, such as Snapdragon 675 lacks NX bit that helps protect the computer from malicious attacks. Kirin 710 has an NX bit and takes advantage of it. On the other side, Kirin 710 lacks Error-correcting code or EEC memory that can detect and correct data corruption. Kirin 710 also lacks out-of-order execution, which makes CPU use instruction cycles that would usually be wasted due to delays.
The Snapdragon 675 chipset overpowers the Kirin 710 because of its architecture and support for more RAM, but still, Kirin 710 is also the good choice for users, and user’s decision depends on the features of the smartphones powered by chipsets.
|Category||Kirin 710||Snapdragon 675|
|Node||12 nm||11 nm LPP|
|CPU||4 ARM Cortex-A73 @ 2.2GHz + 4 ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1.7GHz||2 Kryo 460 (CA76) @ 2.0GHz 256KB L2 + 6 Kryo 460 (CA55) @ 1.7GHz 64KB L2|
|GPU||ARM Mali-G51 MP4||Adreno 612|
|Memory||Max 6GB LPDDR4||Max 8GB LPDDR4x|
|Benchmark Scores||CPU: 65581 | GPU: 22547||CPU: 85516 | GPU: 36106|
|Camera||16MP + 24MP, dual camera support||Spectra 250 ISP
|Video: Decode/Encode||Decode: 1080p @ 60fps
Encode: 1080p @ 30fps
H.264 & H.265″
|Charging||Huawei’s SuperCharge 2.0||Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ Support: Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4+ technology|
|Display||N/A||Up to FHD+
Display Pixels: 2520×1080
External Display: Up to4K Ultra HD
|Bluetooth||BT 4.2||BT 5.0|