If you have been a victim of incessant messages, then the Hide Alerts feature is a perfect step for you. Having friends, family, or distant relatives has both perks and losses, one of them being hordes of messages on a family, friends, or class group or from individual people.
If you feel that you are being disturbed by anyone on iMessage, there is a way to silence them permanently without letting them find out.
In this article, we will be exploring more about what Hide Alerts on iMessage signify and how to enable this feature.
Also read: How to turn on vibrate on iPhone?
What are Hide Alerts?
Hide Alerts is a feature that is available for all iOS users on iMessage. Enabling this feature will allow you to mute the message notifications of any individual or group. With this feature, you can control the message notifications that you want to view. When you enable this feature, you will not be notified about any message sent by anyone whose message alerts you have chosen to hide.
Along with, view alerts even the notification sound of their incoming message will be silenced. With no message on your lock screen or sound alert, you can only know if their message has arrived by opening your iMessage and viewing their chat which will have unread messages.
If you want to switch off notification alerts for all messages, then you can head to the iMessage settings to silence all incoming or future notifications of that app. With Hide Alerts, only individual chat threads are affected.
How to hide alerts?
Getting messages can soon turn annoying if they come non-stop and they act as a source of distraction in addition to making unnecessary notification chimes. So if you had the option to use Hide Alerts for any group or individual, then why hesitate? Given below are three ways in which you can enable this feature for any message thread without letting the group or individual know:
This method can be followed without opening the chat itself. Follow the steps given below to understand how to effortlessly enable the Hide Alerts feature:
- Head to your iMessage and before opening any chat whose notifications you want to switch to silent, press the chat and slide it to the left.
- You will find a bell icon with a slash over it, tap on it and your work is done.
- You can follow the same steps to undo Hide Alerts for any chat as well by swiping the chat to the left and tapping on the bell icon to undo this feature.
All message notifications for that chat are now hidden after you enable Hide Alerts. This method can be followed without opening the chat itself.
Another method to Hide Alerts without opening the chat can be followed by simply following the steps given below:
- Long press on any given chat whose message notifications you would like to silence.
- You will be shown a small preview of your chat with this person or group along with three options. Choose Hide Alerts from the options shown.
If you want to undo this change, you can follow the above-mentioned steps again to undo Hide Alerts.
For this method, you will have to open the chat, after opening the chat whose messages are to be hidden, follow the steps provided below:
- After opening the chat, tap on their name or profile picture.
- Scroll down to switch on or off the toggle for Hide Alerts, according to your preference.
- If you are on iOS 14 or earlier, then you might have to tap on the info icon after tapping on the profile or group icon on top.
When a conversation has Hide Alerts on, then a bell icon with a slash over it will be displayed in front of that conversation. In iOS 14 and earlier, a crescent moon will be displayed instead.
Also read: How to turn off Do Not Disturb on iPhone?