Apple has built-in tools to protect its devices and data. Features like Find My lets you locate your lost Apple devices with the help of geolocation services and also supports wiping data remotely in case the device cannot be found. This also includes a feature called Activation Lock, which prevents anyone else from wiping your data and reselling the device if it ever gets lost or stolen.
If you’re wondering what the activation lock is and how it works, we’ve got you covered in this article. Here we’ve discussed the following topics related to activation lock on Apple Watch,
- What is Activation Lock?
- How to remove the activation lock on Apple Watch?
- How to know if activation lock is enabled on Apple Watch?
- How to enable activation lock on Apple Watch?
Also read: How to split screen on Mac?
What is the Activation Lock on Apple Watch?
As mentioned above, Activation Lock helps in keeping your device secure in case it gets in the wrong hands, and being a part of Find My, increases the chances of recovering the device.
Even if you have remotely erased the data, activation lock can stop anyone else from reactivating the device without your permission. It basically locks the Apple Watch with your Apple ID, which is then needed to restore the device
When you set up Find My iPhone, the activation lock of your Apple Watch, which is paired with that iPhone, is automatically enabled.
Once the activation lock is turned on, your Apple ID and passcode will be required to unpair your watch from its paired iPhone and pair it with a new one; protecting it from anyone using it if it gets lost or stolen.
How to remove activation lock on Apple Watch?
If you want to give your Apple Watch for service, sell it, or just want to give it away, you should turn off the activation lock. There are two ways to do it, through paired iPhone and via iCloud.com.
Remove Apple Watch activation lock using a paired iPhone
Remember to keep your iPhone and Apple Watch close to each other as you unpair them and remove the activation lock.
Launch the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the My Watch tab, located at the bottom-left corner of the screen. Then tap on the All Watches option.
- Tap on the info “i” button located next to the Apple Watch you want to unpair.
- Choose Unpair Apple Watch.
- Tap on Unpair (name) Apple Watch to confirm the action. If you’re using a cellular plan, you can choose to keep or remove the plan. You’ll need to call the carrier to cancel the cellular plan.
- Disable Activation Lock by entering the Apple ID passcode then tapping Unpair.
Remove Apple Watch activation lock using iCloud
If you do not have the paired iPhone handy, you can remove the activation lock using the Find My service using a web browser. Log into iCloud.com and following the steps given below.
Step 1: Sign in with your Apple ID and then Passcode.
Step 2: Click on Find iPhone.
Step 3: Click on All Devices, located at the top-centre of the screen.
Step 4: A drop down menu of connected Apple devices will appear. Click on your Apple Watch.
Step 5: Click Erase Apple Watch.
Step 6: Click on Erase to confirm the action.
Also read: How to change language on Apple Watch?
How to know if activation lock is enabled on Apple Watch?
If your watch runs watchOS 2 or later, the activation lock automatically activates when you set up the device. You can check if the activation lock is enabled on the Apple Watch via paired iPhone or on iCloud.com.
From paired iPhone
Follow the steps mentioned below on your paired iPhone to check if the activation lock is enabled on your Apple Watch.
- Launch the Watch app on your iPhone then tap on My Watch tab.
- Tap on All Watches, located at the top-left corner of the screen.
- Tap on the “i” info icon located next to your Apple Watch name.
- If you see Find My Apple Watch option then Activation Lock is turned on.
If you do not have the paired iPhone nearby, you can still check if the activation lock is turned on via iCloud.com.
Step 1: Sign in with your Apple ID and then Passcode. Click on Find iPhone.
Step 2: Click on All Devices, located at the top-centre of the screen.
Step 3: A dropdown menu of connected Apple devices will appear. If your Apple Watch is listed there, then the activation lock is enabled.
Also read: How to unpair Apple Watch?
How to enable activation lock on Apple Watch?
If you don’t see Find My Apple Watch in the Watch app or in the All Devices list on iCloud.com then there might be a possibility that activation lock isn’t enabled on your watch. Though it automatically turns on when you set up Find My iPhone, if not you can enable it by following the steps given below.
- Open Settings app on your iPhone. Tap on the Account name at the top of the screen.
- Select Find My.
- Tap on Find My iPhone.
- Slide the Find My iPhone toggle to the right.
The Apple Watch activation lock will be enabled.
Also read: How to edit a PDF on Mac?