The ads that you see on the websites, apart from being a constant source of irritation, are also used to deliver various malware to your device. Imagine being engrossed in an article, and suddenly a pop-up window appears out of nowhere. It hampers with the overall viewing experience.
In this article, we will explore ways how you can block ads on the Firefox browser and can continue with a clutter-free viewing experience.
Using DuckDuckGo extension for Firefox
DuckDuckGo is a browser with the utmost respect for your digital privacy and security. The ads, as they are laden with various malware, are blocked by this browser extension. We have already covered how you can download this extension on Chrome.
To download DuckDuckGo extension for Firefox, follow the steps given below.
- Click on Add to Firefox option as shown in the screenshot above.
- That’s it! You will see the welcome screen. (Check out the screenshot above).
After you have installed the extension, you will notice a grading system on the top right corner of the screen. The grading system shows you how much data does the website collects. Alongwith that, it blocks the ads so that you have a clutter-free experience.
By using the Firefox settings
You can also use the settings on the Firefox itself to block the ads. Follow the steps given below to block the ads.
- Open Firefox browser.
- Click on the hamburger menu at the top right corner of the screen.
- Then click on the Options subheading.
- Go to Privacy and Security option on the left menu. Here, you will see three options — Standard, Strict and Custom.
- Select Strict option if you do not know the titbits of computer privacy. It will ensure complete protection. Alternatively, you can choose the Custom option where you can customise the options.
- Furthermore, on the Send websites a “Do Not Track” signal that you don’t want to be tracked option, select Always. This will ensure that you remain untrackable by the websites.
If you are using Firefox on your Android device, follow the instructions given below.
- Open the Firefox browser on the phone.
- Go to the three-dot menu at the top right of the screen.
- Tap on Settings > Privacy.
- Turn the toggle on Do Not Track. Also, set the Tracking Prevention to Enabled.
Using AdBlock or Adblock Plus
In case you want a third party extension to remove ads, follow the steps given below.
To enable Adblock on Firefox, follow the instructions given below.
- Go to Adblock website.
- Click on Add to Firefox option.
- Click on Add as shown in the screenshot above.
If you want to add this extension, below are the steps.
- Go to Adblock Plus website.
- Click on Agree and Install for Firefox.
- After that, click on Continue to Installation.
We recommend that you install the DuckDuckGo extension, as it protects your privacy and blocks all the ads without you having to pay for blocking ads potentially.
Hope this tutorial has helped in your quest for an ad-free internet experience! That said, please take a note of our request that you can find below the author bio here.
Deputy Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant writes at the intersection of tech and culture and has a keen interest in science, social issues and international relations.
You can contact him here: [email protected]