Indian Railways is one of the largest Government-owned services in the world. With a 160 year rich history, the railways are keeping the country’s economy running. Indian Railway runs four UNESCO World Heritage Sites — Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (1999), Nilgiri Mountain Railway (2005), Kalka Shimla Railway (2008) and Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus.
Alongwith that, Indian Railways maintains 34 museums and has preserved about 230 locomotives and 110 vintage coaches.
In this article, we will explain how you can book tatkal tickets on IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) website and on the app.
Book a Tatkal ticket in IRCTC
You can book the tatkal tickets from the IRCTC website as well as from the app.
Via the app
To book tatkal ticket from the IRCTC app, follow the instructions given below.
- Open the IRCTC app.
- Tap on Train Ticket.
- Enter the four-digit pin.
- Now, tap on Plan my journey on the Dashboard.
- Select the destination and the boarding point along with the date of journey.
- Once you are done, tap on Search Train.
- The app will list the trains outbound to the destination on the selected date. On this page, tap on the Tatkal option at the top.
- Select the train as per your liking and the ticket availability.
- Noe, tap on Book Now option and enter the passenger details.
- After you have finished entering the details, tap on Done.
- After that tap on Book Ticket and then tap on Proceed To Payment.
- On the payments page, enter the card details to book the ticket.
Book Tatkal ticket via the IRCTC website
To book the tatkal tickets via the IRCTc website, follow the instructions given below.
- Open the IRCTC website and then log in with your account.
- Enter the destination and the boarding point along with the date of the journey and then click on Find Trains.
- Click on the Quota option and then select Tatkal from the drop-down menu.
- Now, select the train and then click on Book Now.
- Enter the details — name, age, gender, seat preference along with other details.
- When you are done with the details, click on Continue Booking.
- On the next page, you will see all the details. Confirm the details and then click on Continue Booking.
- Next, enter the payment details to book the ticket.
By following the above steps you can easily book tatkal tickets via the IRCTC website as well as from the app.
Also read: How to post on Reddit and delete a post?
It’s quite possible that due to the immense amount of bookings every minute on the IRCTC account, especially concerning tatkal tickets, by the time you pay for your tickets, it might not be a confirmed booking; rather you’ll be shown different booking status such as RLWL, TQWL, PQWL and GNWL, among others. Below, we’ve outlined the full forms of the aforementioned and more.
- RLWL: Remote Location Wait List
- TQWL: Tatkal Quota Wait List
- PQWL: Pooled Quota Wait List
- GNWL: General Quota Wait List
- RAC: Reservation Against Cancellation
Following is a table of the minimum and maximum Tatkal charges levied by IRCTC on a Tatkal booking.
Also Read: How to create a poll on Facebook?