Chess needs no introduction. It’s one of the oldest games in the history of the human race and still continues to attract passionate players and loyal followers of the game. Among a lot of other things, the increasing internet connectivity globally has also helped the game of Chess as it can now be played against anyone else across the world, including your friends, family or just random strangers.
Chess.com is one of the websites — also available as an app for Android and iOS — that allows people to seamlessly connect and play chess online and if you’re new to the platform and aren’t able to find your way around it, we’ve got a series of explainers on Chess.com that will help you find your way and focus on the game more.
In this article, we’re going to explain how you can change your username on Chess.com and also your profile name in a few simple steps. But before we begin, here are a few things you should keep in mind.
- You can only change your username once.
- Usernames need to be a minimum of three characters and a maximum of 20.
- You can’t include any spaces, dots or special characters such as ^ & * ! ” £ $ % ( ) + = ? / \ | in your username.
- You can use a dash (-) or underscore (_) in your usernames.
- You won’t be able to change your username during a live chess match. Close all the other tabs of Chess.com to do so successfully.
- You can’t use any foul language, racial slurs, sexist, threatening or violent language in your username or name on Chess.com.
- You can also not impersonate famous chess players like Vishwanathan Anand, Magnus Carlsen or any other professional player.
Changing username and profile name on Chess.com
Login to your account on Chess.com and follow the steps mentioned below to change your username or profile name.
Step 1: Click on Settings from the options on the bottom-left of the page and then select All Settings from the list. On the next page, tap on the Change option beside your username.
You can also change your profile name by editing the boxes beside First Name and Last Name and then click on the Save button at the bottom of the page to confirm the changes.
Step 2: On the next page, enter your new username in the box beside Username and then enter your Chess.com Password in the box below. Then click on the Save button.
Also read: How to fix the HDMI port on PS4?
Changing profile name on Chess.com for Android and iOS
You can only change username through its website on a PC; however, you can still change your profile name using the app.
Open the Chess.com app on your Android or iOS device and follow the steps mentioned below to change your profile name.
- Tap on the More option at the bottom-right corner of the app.
- On the next screen, tap on Settings.
- Then tap on Account.
- On the next page, you can edit your profile name under the First Name and Last Name boxes.
- Once you’re done, tap on the Tick mark at the top-right of the app window to save the changes.
You can change your profile name any number of times, at the time of writing.
Yatharth is the Marketing Head at Candid.Technology. He sometimes writes about Apple, Gaming and Social Platforms and also indulges in offbeat tech stuff from time to time.
Contact Yatharth via email: [email protected]