Dubbed the front page of the internet, Reddit is one of the most popular communities on the internet as anything that gets any traction online more than often lands up on Reddit to get even more traction. While Reddit is a big community with billions of page views each month, it also has branches that contribute to its popularity — subreddits, which are user-created communities within Reddit’s domain that cater to various genres of content.
If you’ve taken a liking to Reddit but feel that a specific subreddit, which is currently missing but can add value to the platform you can create a subreddit. Before we go ahead with the steps for creating your own subreddit, here are a few things you should know.
Things to know before creating a subreddit
- Account age: To create a subreddit, your account should be at least 30 days old.
- Karma: Creating a subreddit requires you to have a certain amount of Karma, which hasn’t been specified by the company. This is done to ensure that a user has been engaging within the community and isn’t spamming the site. However, earn a bit of Karma on the platform and take your chances — you can always try again later if you can’t make a subreddit right away.
- Subreddit name change: Once created, you can’t change the name of your subreddit. So make sure that you type the correct spelling with the required capitalisations — it’s going to be the same forever.
- Deletion of subreddit: You can’t delete a subreddit, but you can transfer the ownership of the subreddit to some other user and delete yourself from the subreddit if you like. If you don’t want to use the subreddit anymore, you can always put it up for adoption on this Reddit community.
Also read: What is Reddit karma? 7 ways to earn it
How to create a subreddit? (PC and Mobile)
To create a subreddit via the website on your PC or mobile phone, log in to the Reddit website, go to your Reddit list page and follow the steps mentioned below.
Step 1: On the Reddit list page, click on the Create your own subreddit button at the right side of the page (located right above the list of your subscribed subreddits).Step 2: On the next page titled Create a community, fill in the following information and then click on the Create Community button.
- Name of the community.
- Topics to help Reddit users find your community in search.
- Description of your community.
- Select the community type — Public, Restricted or Private. In a Public community, anyone is allowed to view, post and comment. In a Restricted community, only approved users can post, but everyone can view and in a Private community, solely approved users can view and post.
- If you’re going to post or allow NSFW content on your subreddit, then also click on the box beside NSFW 18+ year old community.
Once you’ve successfully created your subreddit, you can customise it with a header, profile image, theme, layout, sidebar and more. Use the following links for helpful resources for subreddit admins, including guidelines to keep your subreddit and profile out of trouble.
- Mod help centre
- Moderator guidelines
- Official announcements and news for Moderators
- Support forum for Moderators
If you’re unable to create a subreddit yet, you might want to ensure that your account is at least 30 days old and has a considerable amount of Karma — a few hundred at least by our estimate. If not, give it some time, build some karma by posting and cross-posting and try again. Getting Reddit Premium to bypass these restrictions won’t help.
Writes news mostly and edits almost everything at Candid.Technology. He loves taking trips on his bikes or chugging beers as Manchester United battle rivals.
Contact Prayank via email: [email protected]